Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / No Direction
- - By bebec123 Date 01-06-2006 15:35
I will be done with welding school as of 1 March...I am thinking about heading into the CWI direction and was wondering if any of you had some thoughts about what I can do to expand my knowledge for that field. I am certified for (stick)3&4G and will have my 6G done soon. I also can weld tig/mig. I just don't feel like I have any direction. I was going to try to indenture into the Boilermakers union, but my spouse is in the Marines, so he's gone enough as it is, without me being gone for weeks at a time. Whatever imput you have would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2006 16:10
Just from my own personal experience, I started out in the Boilermakers some 33 years ago and it was the best choice (career wise) I ever made in my life. I owe a HUGE debt to the Boilermakers Union, one which I would dearly love to repay one day, perhaps as a volunteer instructor after retirement. Tough choices you're facing, but if you have the opportunity I'd say go for it!

Another opinion; having had my CWI since 1980, I would give yourself a few years of "hands-on" welding experience before trying to break into inspection, it's a tough market for inspectors right now (I'm sure there'll be some disagreement on this statement) but I fully expect in the next few years the market is going to open wide for CWI's.
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 01-06-2006 19:09
Hello bebec. If you are in an area that has lots of industry, you may not have to travel far. I can think of several locals where the boilermakers are home evey night. Is moving to a different locality a option? Up here, the boilermakers are going to be swamped. We have 1 new 650 mg boiler just under construction, with 2 more to start in march along with all the repair that is being done to meet higher polution standards. We also have another boiler same size scheduled to start right after the one now under construction finishes on the same site which will entail 5 years steady work in one location. We also have a 750 scheduled to start in 2008. So, one could very well end up spending a great deal of time without traveling one bit.
Jon, you and i must have started the same year. I was initiated in march 1973. I also feel I owe a great deal to the craft. I have made some wonderful friends and met some of the most interesting people in this line of work. My son is in his second year of his apprentiship after bouncing around college, tech school, manufaturing jobs etc. and he loves it.
I do try to give back. When I am a foreman, I always have my hood handy and am always ready to help out any apprentice that is struggling and willing to learn. I have also set up small schools on longer term jobs when the contractor was willing to allow us to be on site after hours without supervision. Staying over 2-3 hours a night after working 11 hour days can be trying, but also very rewarding. I too might try and help out in our apprentiship program after retirement. (I look at it as insurance for my pension LOL but also love teaching.) my email is mikie_j_b@yahoo.com if you care to drop me a line, let me know where your located etc. I was 20 years behind you in obtaining the CWI.
Bebec, I think getting the CWI will be good for you, but I think you may be better served if you would get out and get some expeirience under your hood. It also helps when you are inspecting having had to have hung upside down dangling from a rope to make the bottom weld of a cone bottomed tank to understand the dificuties of making some welds. It makes one a little more compasionate for those doing the work. Good luck in whichever way your lifes path takes you.

Mike
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2006 19:49
Mike, your name is known to me for some reason... are you a volunteer or Board Member? Don't know, we may have crossed paths on one of a few dozen jobs I've had? In any case I know your name?

By the way, we are very close indeed, my initiation was April 1974 (32 years not 33 as I said before, it's Friday I'm allowed a subtraction error, lol!!!)
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 01-08-2006 14:51
jon:

No, I neither volunteer nor am I a Board Member. I am just a person who bores people LOL. J/K
Our pathes may have crossed somewhere. I have started in Browm Minneapolis's shop in Egan Minn. inititated into local 647. I did some field work with them, then got married and tried working at home for a year. After finding out I could not make the money I could on the road, I hit it again going with PDM building water towers, flat bottoms, and shpereical storage pressure vessels. I would hit any job offered to me out of local 107 and when they were dry, go back with pdm and cbi. Took me 10 years to get enough hours in 107 to sneak in the back door. So if you have worked for or out of 107, you may have run into me.

Mike
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-06-2006 19:49
Hello, I would have to second the part that the other two posters have written concerning getting your feet wet some before necessarily getting into the inspection end of the trade. I have had to work with engineers and draftsmen who were straight out of school and CWI's who had never had a hood on and I believe that though these individuals may be technically well versed in their respective fields of expertise, actual experience in the field cannot be replaced. When you show up on a job site and start inspecting and critiqueing welds and such you will be much better received if you have a thorough understanding of what it actually takes to make that particular weld. By continuing with your initial path in the boilermakers union you may find many avenues which can fulfill your interests, pay expectations, and the ability to find work closer to home and without having to be gone for long periods of time. I would certainly not discourage your interest in the inspection field, however, I would suggest that a bit of experience will go a long way. My final comment and please don't take this the wrong way, you are obviously a woman from what I read in the body of your post, having said that, you will be scrutinized more heavily in this trade than a man would, this is fact and not a bias of mine. Since that is the case when you go out into the work force you will want to be loaded for bear and put your very best foot forward. You will need to show confidence in everything that you do in order to receive the respect that you deserve. Knowledge is power, and thus, you will want to prepare yourself to the very fullest in order to realize your aspirations and dreams. Mainly what I'm trying to say is to not be discouraged with anything that you try to do and to accept that there are still individuals in the trade who will not readily accept the difference in gender. The people who really count though are the ones who will judge you on your abilities and not the things that they perceive. Good Luck and Regards, aevald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2006 19:53
I'm not sure I agree on the gender thing being evaluated differently than a man. In my experience this hasn't been the case. I do know the men will comment one way or another and I'm sure there will be instances of sexual teasing (not meant to be harrassing) that will be encountered, it's sad, but such is the construction world...
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-06-2006 20:26
In my geographical area gender can be an issue, I personally have no problem with it. I am saying to be truthful, a possibility exist for this to be the case. So for those of you reading I'm sure that this will be interpreted differently by many. My gender comment in no way is meant to demean anyone or to offend anyone. Regards, aevald
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2006 20:30
Hopefully there won't be any who take offense to it. bebec123 should know our trade is a "tough" trade in many ways... often construction workers are stereotyped (in some cases correctly) as being somewhat crude and I believe any female who enters the trade has got to expect some amount of teasing... in my experience I have never found any co-workers who intended this as hurtful, it's simply a male weakness to "flirt" if you will with members of the opposing gender.

Regardless, I'm hoping bebec123 will not find this discussion offensive, it is simply being realistic.
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 01-06-2006 22:58
I started in the Boilermakers union at age 36 in the year 2000.
It's the BEST part time job I have ever had. I make close to $60,000 a year for working around 7 months a year. If you are a woman, you'll get in no problem. There is a big push for women and minority apprenctices right now. Just a warning ....it's pretty brutal, physical and dirty work.
Most of the guys are great but you will run into some real jerks on occassion.

You don't have to travel if you don't want to. They have to place a certain amount of apprentices to jouneyman on local jobs. In my local, it's 1 apprentice for every 5 J-man. Plus you are required to attend school at your local.

Not sure where you live but the Ohio valley area is going to be wide open with new power plant construction over the net 5 years or so. The energy crunch is real and here to stay. Coal is king.

My suggestion would be to complete the apprenticship and then pursue the CWI. You'll have the chance to meet CWI's on the job and see what it's all about.

I going after my CWI this Summer but I have 19 years in the welding trade.

Have you looked into the Pipefitters? You may be able to work local more often but I like the time off from work with the Boilermakers. We work heavy overtime and then get the summer off. It's pretty nice but you have to BUDGET. Hope this helps
Parent - - By - Date 01-07-2006 14:15
Like Jon, I got my CWI and CWE license a LONG time ago, but I thought there was the stipulation that you had to have a minimum of 10 years verifiable experience in the welding field to sit for the test. Maybe it has changed since then. Or, maybe I have some brain cells that don't work quite as well as they once did...:-)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-08-2006 06:37
Hi Bebec123, Chuck!
There is a stipulation but, it's not 10 yrs - it's five with a high school diploma or GED. There are also alternatives so look at AWS QC1-96 under section 5.2.1 and beyond for clarification to the alternatives.

Note: Section 5.1 is for an SCWI not to be confused for a CWI in section 5.2... Here the link:
http://www.aws.org/certification/qc196.html
I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-08-2006 10:53
Chuck, like me, you probably burned more brain cells that you should have but you at least still have plenty left over to wisely guide people like me! Thanks for the recent article on heat treating 347 you sent. Very good stuff!! Nice to be among geniouses!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / No Direction