Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Credits for 9 year renewal
- - By MBlaha (***) Date 01-11-2006 04:02
Can one use the credits obtained at AWS seminars and conferences towards the 80 hours continuing education towards the 9 year renewal process so one does not have to retake the practical exam at the end of his 9 years??
I would look it up in my book, but do not have access to it at this time as I am on a job requiring a motel.

Mike
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-11-2006 10:33
Yes. One may also prepare and provide documented training of others on the body of knowledge to obtain credit. I am going through the nine year renewal of my SCWI right now... What your looking for is one of three options available.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-11-2006 11:19
Jon,
Our Section #179 was looking into giving CEU credit(s) for some of our technical section meetings, but somewhere along the line things have stalled. What would be the process to go through for us to be able give credit for attending the technical section meetings? I have built up several CEU's for attending UT classes but some of the others in our section may need some help accumulating the CEUs needed to be exempt from the exam.
John Wright

Also, when we(our section) hosts the CWI seminar/exam...will the section volunteers gain any CEUs for their envolvement?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-11-2006 12:52
John in my humble opinion, I believe both the trainee's and trainer's would be available to take credit for the training offered through your local section. A course outline which embodies training requirements related to the Body of Knowledge from Section 5 of QC1:96 would be needed as would defining how many contact hours each subject would take credit for. A contact hour must provide interaction between the instructor and student.

If you want the absolute answer, my advice would be to write Jeff Hufsey or Terry Perez at AWS. You should be able to get their e-mail addresses from the "Contact AWS" button at the bottom of the home page, if you have any difficulty let me know!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-11-2006 15:32
Here's one portion related to this thread that I copied from the AWS Certification Website regarding re-certification WITHOUT examination:

OPTION 2: 9-YEAR RE-CERTIFICATION (EXEMPT):

(9-Year Re-Certification - EXEMPT)

This option is for those inspectors who have kept themselves up-to-date in the field of inspection by attending classes and seminars related to the field of welding inspection or the teaching of those subjects. A minimum of (80) contact hours earned during the nine year certification period including (40) earned in the final 3-year period is required. A contact hour is no less than (50) minutes of personal interaction between a learner and instructor. Contact implies two-way communication in order for the learner to receive feedback.

Following the Education and Experience Requirements of the QC1:96, the course content must be in one or more of the subject areas as defined. A maximum of (40) contact hours are allowed for any one course and no course may be repeated for credit within any 3-year period. Certificates of completion, diplomas, or transcripts must be submitted with your application. Trainers who want to substitute teaching hours for student hours shall submit documentation of the hours of training performed and course curriculum.

Beyond the offerings listed in the QC1:96, seminars and courses offered by training organizations and in-house programs may be accepted if they meet the requirements as stated in Section 12.2.1 in the QC1:96. AWS nationally sponsored courses and seminars where promotional literature and Certificates of Completion indicate hours granted for CWI 9-year re-certification are acceptable towards educational requirements.
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 01-12-2006 02:48
A very warm THANK YOU to all of you for responding. I may have talked my present employer into paying for the conference or they might pay me for the time I am gone while attending the one in Vegas.

Mike
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Credits for 9 year renewal