Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Average Salary for CWI
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By BMcB63 Date 01-12-2006 01:48
I was just wondering what the average salary for a CWI with an extensive background in all welding processes?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-12-2006 13:17
Hey dude, I don't mean to sound like a smart a** but your question is like asking whats the average price of a steak dinner? It depends a lot on type of industry, location, whether one is a contract employee or direct hire. Far too many variables to give you a good answer without knowing more detail. From my own experiences, I have seen CWI pay levels from $10.00/hour all the way upwards of $45.00/hour (and possibly even more if one includes per diem, etc). Clarify what you're looking for and perhaps we can give a better answer?
Parent - - By BMcB63 Date 01-12-2006 15:26
I understand, what I am looking for is a general guide line for services in the Portland, Oregon area dealing with Marine all the way to aircraft.
I have been trying to set a standard for the company I work for and it is pretty hard since I don't know what other areas are charging for the same services.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 11-22-2006 19:11
BMcB63,
are you still looking for info on portland?
Parent - - By CECW7611 Date 11-22-2006 15:14
I'm weighing in a little late on this subject but I do have something to say. wages vary with the location you're in, nothing new there. some people figure per diem, expenses, car allowance, and other "income" in as their wages. if i figure that into my base salary i would make well over 125K but my base is less than 90K.

remember, the three "w's". men will lie about three things, how many women they've been with, how much wine (beer, whisky, vodka. etc.) they can drink, and how much their wages (money they make) are.

Take that advice for what it's worth.

If you're in a stable job, living at home with the wife and kids, living in comfort, and enjoying your job stay with it. I could make more money on the road, but i've been home (at least on week ends) for the last 30 years and my wife went with me when I wasn't home.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-23-2006 07:14
Theres a lot to be said for knowing someone. The good ol boy network is worth $$$$$. Sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know. I would venture to say that their are many people in the forum who have run into this.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-12-2006 13:17
I doubt you'll receive an accurrate answer to that broad question, because there are more factors than just being a knowledgeable CWI.
Location is probably one of the biggest factors to consider.
John Wright

(extensive background in "ALL" welding processes?...wow, that is a big acheivement, kudos to that CWI)
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-12-2006 17:18
Bill;

Having grown up and spending half my life in or around Seattle, I would "ballpark" a $25/hour range for your area. More for aircraft, less for marine. Still more with multiple NDE Certs. I would say this to be a good "average" for the geographic location and disciplines.

The "ballpark" number I admittedly punted would be for a direct hire, permanent type employee, with benefits. Up things about $5.00/hour for contract employee. I'm sure some will disagree but that would be what I think the "average" should be in your area.
Parent - - By BMcB63 Date 01-16-2006 20:40
Thanks for the info that helps alot.
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 01-16-2006 21:14
I earn $125,00 per annum.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-16-2006 21:39
well, vonash, there are a few of us out here who do make that amount, where are you located? I see also you're a consultant? 1099 contract or jobshopper?
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 01-22-2006 23:56
I would not work for the wages you are quoting. $25 to $30 per hour is chump change and it sounds pretty cheap for an experienced CWI with extensive welding credentials.
As far as my wages, it sounds like someone may be envious.
Best Regards,
Vonash
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-23-2006 12:58
Well, just my opinion, and as I already stated, it depends largely on where one is located; cost of living, etc.,

With regard to not working for a particular salary, well, I just don't know what to say about that... also a matter of personal choice I guess. If you're located in NYC, Boston, Washington, DC, Seattle or anywhere in California then $25 - $30.00+/hour probably isn't real good money, but if you're in or around the Portland, Oregon area, it shouldn't be too bad.

I can only speak for myself but in those "thin" times, I was more than willing to work for any type of income to support my family and myself, including McDonalds if that's what it took.

Maybe I just don't hold the same level of "pride" as you do, but then too and again, to each their own.

Sorry, as I re-read your posting, it just stuns me what an arrogant person you must be, and feel I have to edit my response... envious? not a chance, I've made $125K/year and considerably more doing the welding inspection thing, but would certainly never call the wages I mentioned "chump change." I rather suspect there will be more people agreeing with my opinion than that of yours....

Now that I am a direct, permanent employee, of course $125K/year is in the past, although I'm not complaining. Would rather retain my humble, mere existance than end up being an arrogant fool...
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 01-26-2006 21:28
Thanks,
I suppose I should qualify my post to this thread.

In America large companies make huge profits, mostly for stock holders and principal types. Smaller companies make large profits for owners and upper management.
All companies, I know of, limit the rate of pay for technical types who fall in the lower range of professional echelon.
I was making $25.00 per hour (direct hire) twenty years ago. To see average wage for a knowledgeable CWI posted at $25 -$30 per is sad indeed, and I prefer to be open about the financial opportunities in the materials joining industry; If more welding professionals created markets for themselves that are not available through the normal run of the mill work, then maybe the average rate for a CWI would be increased enough for a person to keep up with the bills, and even save enough for retirement-unlikely anyone is going to get rich waiting on an IRA.
Look at the price of gas, cigarettes, coca-cola, and a jug of water compared now to twenty years ago; $25 per hour was good money back then.

Just because I am a CWI and a Member of AWS does not mean that I only practice structural steel.

Best regards,
Vonash
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-27-2006 12:41
Vonash, I'm sure many of us would dearly love to know what you mean when you say:

"If more welding professionals created markets for themselves that are not available through the normal run of the mill work, then maybe the average rate for a CWI would be increased enough for a person to keep up with the bills,"

If you've discovered some magical niche it would be wonderful for you to share it with us! Since the subject was on "average salaries" for a highly competant CWI specific to a region that is what I tried to address but am keenly interested in your response/clarification...
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-28-2006 22:25
Jon,
I am having a little trouble buying into what Mr. Vonash is saying. First of all I am a welding engineer for Bechtel national. Now, Bechtel is no slouch in the construction industry. I know for a fact that 25 to 35 an hour are good numbers for our industry. Now when some one says that as a "CWI" they are making $125000 or more I am going to boldy say "I Don't believe it. Sorry, don't mean to sound neg. but most of us on this site did not just fall off a turrup truck. I would have to say that $125000 would be the very exception to the rule not the norm.
Thanks
Jim
PS HOW-BOUT THOSE SEAHAWKS
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 01-29-2006 22:49
Bechtel and Westinghouse, I've worked for both companies at average salary.
Creating markets is the fabric of America.
Stop whining and start winning!
Parent - By dlmann (**) Date 01-30-2006 04:00
Gentlemen: Lets put this one to bed.
Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - - By - Date 01-30-2006 04:00
Jim,
I'm up here in Seattle on business and believe me, they are going wild about the Seahawks. I too, hope they win. The Cowboys suck this year (as usual), so go Seahawks.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-30-2006 06:55
Hey Chuck, Jim!

You know that I usually agree with your opinions regarding welding technology, and enjoy your contributions of knowledge & wisdom in the forum...

However, when it comes to FOOTBALL??? I'd doubt it that we can agree on much with regards to who's going to win the superbowl this year because as you've already guessed, I'm rooting for the PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

Okay, I'm a bit biased but, I've got to go with the near "cannibalistic" HUNGER that the STEELERS have been showing on the field since the playoffs started. I've also heard that they favor eating hawks from whatever region in the world!!!

In other words, the steel curtain will be cookin up these birds from Seattle!!! Baked or Roasted Bird anyone???

No offense Chuck but, this is just IMHO...

'Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!!!" I too hope we got enough fuel to cook these birds because if the steel curtain is cold beyond belief, the curtain will start to crack... We'll see soon enough!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By - Date 01-30-2006 14:20
Hey there my Friend,
Notice I did not say who I thought would win the game, just who I was rooting for. Now, I think Big Ben is probably the best QB in all of football (Tom Brady will agree with that), but the Steel Curtain used to just kill my revered Dallas Cowboys, so I always root for the other team. I definitely think Cowher has the Curtain ready to play and ready to win. As I'm an avid Cowboy fan, it is easy to see that who I root for usually doesn't win. ;-) It is definitely going to be a good game. Good luck to both...
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-30-2006 14:50
Not a big football fan, but being a native Seattlite I guess I gotta say it's been way too long since those old birds have made it this far, maybe they got something going this season... gotta root for the home town team!
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-30-2006 15:40
I have been a Steeler fan since 1972, so I'm pulling for the Steelers, especially since Mike Holmgren betrayed my beloved Packers (fan since 1966) and jumped ship to the Seahawks. By the way, did you guys hear what happened in Seattle the other day? Two boys were playing football in a Seattle area park when one is attacked by a Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy rips off a plank of the nearby fence, wedges it down the dog's collar & twists, breaking the dog's neck. An out of town Pittsburgh reporter who was strolling by sees the incident, and rushes over to interview the boy. "Cougars Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal," he starts writing in his notebook. "But I'm not a Cougars fan," the boy replied. Ok, "Huskies Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack," the reporter starts again. "But I'm not a Huskies fan either," the boy said. "Then what are you?" the reporter asked. "I'm a Seahawks fan." The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Redneck Bastard Kills Family Pet."

I know that being a Packer fan I shouldn't be making jokes, especially with the year they had. I read somewhere that midway through the season, this guy had parked his car and left two Packer tickets on the dash. When he returned, someone had broken out the windshield and left two more beside them.
Parent - By - Date 01-31-2006 05:22
Scott,
This was fantastic !! Where do you come up with stuff like this? Man, this was hilarious....Keep up the good work. We all need a breath of fresh air once in a while.
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 01-31-2006 05:26
being a Packer fan myself since 1966 also, I was quite saddened with the choice of coaching staff our new GM has taken on. I dont know why they did not stick with Bates and go after Steve Marriochi as Offensive coordinator. And now today, to hear Brett Farve say if he had to make a decision today, he would not be back next year. Sad day in the NFL. I wonder what would have happened if Wolf had given Holmgrem what he wanted. GM and coach. Probably too much of a load. Oh well, theres always 2010.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 01-31-2006 05:38
I have to say to the CWI making $125,000 annually. I believe you are probably making that salary if you are working overseas However, your job title is not "CWI". You may have a CWI, but you are employed in another position, correct? So please be more specific.
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 02-01-2006 03:51
OK
Steelers by 19.
My very best regards,
and most humbly - VONASH
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 02-06-2006 04:40
Antwan Randal-El.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-09-2006 11:11
To all you Seattle fans!

Quit yer WHINING!!!! Jeremy Who???

Who Dey??? - We Dey!!! Who Dey??? - We Dey!!! Who Dey???
The PITTSBURGH STEELERS - SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, THAT'S WHO!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-09-2006 16:39
Ya never heard any whining from this Seattle fan, we all know Pittsburgh had the championship delivered to them on a silver platter... they got the rings but sure as hell didn't "win" anything... IMHO

HEY, I'M NOT THE ONE WHO STARTED STIRRING!!!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-10-2006 11:37
Hi Jon20013!!!

Just like Bill Cowhers said at the Gateway Center in downtown Pittsburgh for the fans at the team "Superbowl Champions Homecoming Celebration" and I'll paraphrase him once again:
"Who Dey??? - We Dey!!! - Who Dey??? - We Dey!!! - Who Dey??? - We Dey!!! - Who Dey think we have'nt won anything??? - We Dey just won the National Football League Championship of the World, that's WHO!!!"

So, I just wanted to clarify this fact to you, being that
you were the one who mentioned that the Pittsburgh Steelers
did'nt "win" anything...

Just to make you feel better, Seattle did have our Superbowl party a bit nervous in the first half of the game but heck afterall, there are two halves in the game. The Pittsburgh Steelers did NOT have the championship delivered to them on a silver platter as you mentioned... Ohhh Nooo!!!! THEY EARNED IT!!!
END OF SUBJECT!!! Have a nice day!!!
; )

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-10-2006 15:23
With all due respect to the Steelers, two very "questionable" calls in the first quarter would have changed the whole game. No matter, it's water under the bridge but I've met many a Steeler fan that agreed "those" two calls were a bit "iffy" at very best. No more words from me on the topic. Enjoy it.
Parent - By firstpass (**) Date 02-24-2006 17:36
To Vonash: I would be interested in the marketing of EXPERIENCE. DO you have any suggestions. It seems like some companies what more for less until there are serious problems to solve.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-24-2006 18:30
My rate: $37.50/hr port to port, for 7 hours plus .45 cents per mile. After 7 hours rate is 1.5x previously stated rate plus $35.00 per deim. Any lodging expenses are charged at the rate established by the available hotel/motel. Saturdays rate for 8 hours is 1.5x stated rate. After 8 hours rate is 2x previously quoted rate. Sunday's rate is 2x quoted rate until 7:00 a.m. Monday. Consumables for PT, MT are an additional charge.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-24-2006 21:32
fbrieden; are you working as an indepenent or employee?
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-25-2006 03:28
Working as an independent
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 02-26-2006 06:50
fbrieden, This price sounds reasonable, but do you have to pay taxes as say a business owner? What about workers compensation coverage and liability insurance? Speaking from experience if you contract to any major corporation they will require both and if you are matching your own social security costs which you are if your self employed that a double expense as well. It is better working for a larger company and making $25 plus benefits then going through all of the headaches required to pay accountants, elevated insurance/taxes along with business licenses. Charging $37.50 an hour is one thing but keeping $25.00 of it after it’s all said and done is much different!

Additionally, I’m with NDTIII when it comes to the wages that Vonash is detailing so folks don’t read a lot into those clams as $125K annually for a CWI isn’t realistic.

I’m sure there is more to both of these stories.

Responding specifically to this thread:
In my area the CWI cert will get you around $25 per hour and if you have a 510 and a 570 to go with it will gets low to mid $30’s depending on your experience.

BamaDave
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-26-2006 23:05
BamaDave,

My inspection jobs are my secondary jobs. I'm a welding instructor at our county Career Technology Center. Inspection and consultation are two things I've wanted to do since my exposure to an AI when I worked for Ingersoll-Rand, Turbo division, in the mid 70's to early 80's. As for my financial concerns, I do a 1099 as submitted by my clients, and do carry liability insurance. My social security number is my tax number and all financial concerns are handled by my accountant. With a wife as a teacher also, and a son in school preparing for a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree, an accountant's fee is a minimal commodity! Bottom line: I'm doing something I've wanted to do since I was a "know it all welder in 1978"

Fran Brieden
AWS CWI #01010151
Level II
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 02-27-2006 21:43
Alright fbrieden!
BamaDave is right, in ALABAMA only the good ole boys make any money. You and I might be kept at a low rate because the economy there is horrible.
NDTIII lives in the Phillipines, no way to market locally so he is stuck with no dreams.
Build your resume and network. Word of mouth is the best.
Regards,
Vonash
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-28-2006 10:48
Vonash,
I am a Welding Inspector originally from New Zealand and now living and working in Australia so I believe I can give an unbiased opinion on this discussion.
I have been using this excellent forum for over 2 years now and I am struggling to ever remember a positive contribution you have made to this forum. It always seems to be that you are shooting someone down or now it is gloating over how much you are earning.
If you are looking for somewhere to distribute your negative thoughts I suggest UK Welder forum where all they seem to do is call each other names and put each other down.
I am sorry if this offends you but this forum is supposed to be for CWIs from all over the world giving and receiving information, not firing off negative comments at people who contribute,
Regards,
Shane Feder
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 02-28-2006 12:01
This CWI makes over $72,000 a year. I spent 4 days in hotels last year and the rest of the time I was at home with the wife and kids. I could make more money riding up and down the road but I like laying in bed with my wife every night and I am not willing to sacrafice getting to watch my kids grow up to make it, so I will just stay at home and be happy with what I make.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-28-2006 12:13
Vonash,
I must tell you. I live in the Philippines by choice. I am living my dreams.
I can afford to live there because I am from the US and I work in the Middle East and my base salary is over $ 100k before overtime. Not quite $125k, but close.
Although I have Welding Inspector certs, I am not employed as welding inspector. I work for Project Management. I know welding inspectors don’t make that much.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-28-2006 14:47
Gentlemen!
"Can't WE ALL JUST GET ALONG????"
If "Vonash" says he makes that kind of money per year then, take his word for it... Whether it's factual or not, none of us can verify his salary through this forum... Oh sure we can question "Vonash's" honesty but as far as I'm concerned, if that's the salary he makes then good for him!!!

For all we know, "Vonash" may be an owner of an inspection services company, and that's why he's "raking in the dough"...

We all have EGO'S and, some of us ave bigger ones than others IMHO so, let's all try to get along for crying out loud!!!!!

BTW Vonash, I picked the Steelers by 11 points and won big time!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 03-02-2006 02:25
Look, I live in AMERICA!!!

QCI…. who said that is the BIG DOG CERT?
We are united in the joining industry: why not be creative and joyous in our work?
2 yrs. ago I was really stressed for bills. Then a wonderful thing happened; my wife had a stroke. I was a fish on the beach. Nothing made sense and I was in big debt from the hospital bills (and her in-laws).
What to do for a poor CWI??

Then my boss asked me to conduct a special inspection.

Hmmm! exactly what does the forum say about that?

Best regards,
Vonash

Parent - By vonash (**) Date 03-03-2006 00:14
Shane feder...you sound like a young pup I once knew who thought it was acceptable practice to reject any notion of superiority.
Some day you may regret being an inspector; I never will.
Get a better paying job in another industry 'cos you probably won't make spit as an inspector.
Parent - By henri (*) Date 03-21-2006 12:05
On 01-Mar-06 21:25 Vonash wrote "....Then my boss asked me to conduct a special inspection......."

In the building construction industry in So. Calfironia, steel/welding special inspectors can make way more than $50,000/annum, provided they also have in addition to their CWI, ICC certification, major jurisdictional licenses, coupled with several NDT certs(UT, MT and PT)...and are prepared to work weekends(Sat) and put in the hours for OT.

Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 03-03-2006 00:27
NDTIII...cool, you are a manager; unlikely you want some lowly inspector to earn more than you.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-03-2006 04:59
Vonash,
I am 44 years old which hardly classifies me as a "pup".
I have been a CWI for 10 years and I earn between $100K and $150K per year depending on the sector I am working in. This may only be Australian dollars and not US but the average wage here is just under $50K so I am doing all right.
You have no idea of the personal / financial reasons someone works for $25 per hour and yet you denigrate them publicly on this forum.
You may very well be a good inspector but as a person you suck!

Shane Feder
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 03-03-2006 05:52
Wished I could have responded sooner but I have been out of town preparing and taking the NBIC examination and I didn’t take my laptop, as I didn’t want the distraction.

First of all, Fbrieden, I didn’t mean to drag any specifics out about your personal situation out but I do appreciate how you clarified that you working part time as a contract inspector. On a personal note, I hope your son does well in school and makes you very proud! I’m somewhat envious as I wish I had time for side work! My previous response was only to point out how difficult it would be to make a living if your totally self-employed at the rate your quoting as I’ve been there and the expenses can be very taxing.

Vonash, I’m sorry to here about your personal problems and I hope your family is well now! Regardless of that, I don’t see where you need to bring hostility and statements that are senseless and seemingly untrue. I have been in the business for many years and when I say something I’m being factual and durn sure not talking in riddles. This thread was generated to establish the going rate of a CWI with a strong welding background and you just blurt out $125K a year with no details. I’m not saying that you’re embellishing the truth or that your slightly disturbed but you do come off a little different. There are people reading this thread looking at the possibility of becoming a CWI and going into the inspection field and when members post responses they should provide some clarification when asked!

My experience says that it is extremely difficult to make $125K being specifically a CWI unless like mentioned earlier you live where the cost of living is very high or you work plant shutdowns almost exclusively. There are exceptions I’m sure but they aren’t typical and are generally specialized. But what do I know I live in Alabama where some say only the good ole boys make any money!!!!!!!

I told you guys there was more to the story.

BamaDave

Parent - By vonash (**) Date 03-03-2006 22:16
CWI's are people too. I must be a quandary to you fellows who are making the MONEY. Both have told the forum their earnings; so did I.
Personal info and subjects of levity abound in this forum; as do new and innovative ideas. You, (you know who), are willing to earn big, promoting $25.00 per hour as an acceptable rate for CWI types, while you unabashedly debase me for my success.
I am not into giving information concerning my business and details of how-to on an open website. I also do not promote myself here. My goal for this forum is to have fun, learn new things and try to help.
Reminding someone of a young pup has nothing to do with age; it's more like the attitude of the person reminds you of a young pup.
Well, I got to go make some money.
I respectfully bow out of this thread.
Best regards,
Vonash
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Average Salary for CWI
1 2 Previous Next