Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / OAC Welding Tanks
- - By pyrofighting Date 01-12-2006 22:08
I just got a Victor Super Range Kit. I have taken a class on OAC welding and would like to do stuff at home. I also want to use to cut metals, since I cant afford a plasma. What size tanks should I get?
Thanks.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-12-2006 23:26
Hello, there are a few things to consider when sizing tanks for your set. If you plan on doing a lot of cutting, the oxygen tank will likely empty out fairly quickly and require a lot of trips to the gas supplier. So if you live far from town you might want to go with a larger cylinder to cut down on the trips. Another thing to consider, if your tank usage requires carting them around a lot and to places where weight is an issue and portability is a bonus, you may need to make a slight trade off when you consider the size and go with smaller tanks. One of the more important issues regarding tank size has to do with the acetylene cylinder, depending on the tip sizes that you plan on using, some of the larger tips require a larger acetylene cylinder in order for the tip to operate safely. The tip size thing applies to welding tips, cutting tips, and heating tips, (commonly referred to as rose buds). Concerning the acetylene cylinder size: almost every tip that is available for use on oxy-acetylene torches has information regarding the tips fuel gas consumption rate, typically given in CFH (cubic feet per hour), all bottles of acetylene should be marked with their CF or cubic feet of contents, for an acetylene bottle to be used properly you should only draw off 1/7th of the total CF of the bottle per hour. An example: one of the large industrial sized acetylene bottles has 350 CF listed on the bottle, this means that the maximum amount of acetylene that can be drawn off of this bottle in an hours time would be 50 CF, a #1 cutting tip only requires 9.5 CFH to operate properly, there would be no problem supporting this combination, on the other hand there is a rose bud that could be hooked up to this unit and it's acetylene consumption rate is 90 CFH, if you used this tip on the unit it would light and operate, however, since it's draw-off rate exceeds what the bottle is capable of providing you would run the risk of drawing some of the acetone liquid that is part of the make-up of the bottle into the lines and regulator and ruining the components and also ruining the tip. The whole thing regarding draw-off rate has to do with acetylene gas to begin with, it can be a very dangerous substance if you don't respect it. Acetylene bottles have a steel shell that is filled with a porous material, sometimes called portland cement, newer bottles have a different type of synthetic filler, they also have liquid acetone in them. Simply put, acetylene in it's free state is very unstable at pressures over 15psi. and can react violently (explode!), thus when it is filled into the acetylene bottle the acetone and filler are there to combine with the gas to form a much more stable environment which allows it to be pressurized to the 250 psi. that is present in most bottles when they are full. Since it is combined with the acetone it requires a specific amount of time to essentially boil out of solution when you open the valve on the tank, that's where the 1/7th draw-off rate comes from. You've heard the safety spiel, now for one final comment. A number of equipment users out there are notorious for using pressure settings on their tanks of 7psi. on the acetylene and 40psi. on the oxygen, this isn't necessarily dangerous or anything but it can be very wasteful. When you set up your torch to cut look at the pressure requirements listed by the manufacturer for your particular tip size, by using these pressures you will be able to optimize the performance of the tip and not waste your gases. On the Victor tip chart you will notice that a #1 tip which is rated for 3/4" material will operate with 30/35 psi. of oxygen and 3/6 psi. of acetylene, particularly with the oxygen, using excessive pressures doesn't make the tip perform any better but it does waste a lot of unnecessary oxygen. Sorry for the lengthy story hope it helps. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By pyrofighting Date 01-13-2006 02:17
Thnaks for that reply, very helpful, still kinda lost on tank size. Its expensive to try different sizes, so I wanna try to get it right. The sizes the Kit came with are 0(55CFH), 2(130CFH), & 4(250CFH). I dont think I will be useing the 2 and 4 all that much. If 2 was the largest I would use what size acetylene and oxygen tanks would I need? Would I mulitply the 130cfh by 7. That would be 910. I am going to be getting a 00 and 000 size tips, since I will be doing smaller stuff as well. Any more help would be great.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-13-2006 04:06
I'm sorry but it looks like you might have misread or misunderstood some of the information that I was trying to get across or I just wasn't able to make it understandable. According to the information that I have access to: the 0 size tip uses about 1.7 CFH, the 2 size tip uses about 3.0 CFH, and the 4 size tip uses about 4.3 CFH. This is the information regarding the welding tips. If you are talking about cutting tips then the information for those is as follows: the 0 size tip uses about 7.5 CFH, the 2 size tip uses about 10.5 CFH, and the 4 size tip uses about 13 CFH. Using the formula of 1/7 the contents, using a #4 cutting tip would safely require an acetylene bottle to have a capacity of no less than 91CF. If the largest cutting tip that you were going to use was a #2 tip then the acetylene cylinder capacity would need to be a minimum of 73.5 CF. This information only applies to the acetylene cylinder. the oxygen bottle can really be any size, the size only governs how long it will last when you are using it. As I mentioned in the previous post, you need to look at what you will be using the set for as far as tip sizes when it comes to the acetylene, the oxygen cylinder size can be determined by how large of a bottle you want to cart around and how long you expect to go before you need to look at exchanging it. One bit of information concerning the oxygen bottle size, I believe that a real common size bottle for private oxygen use is a 252 CF bottle, this bottle is about 4 1/2 feet tall and around 9 inches in diameter. When you look at the information on oxygen consumption for a #2 cutting tip it says that the tip will use 105 CFH @ the rated oxygen pressures for that size tip. That means that if you continually cut without stopping the 252 CF cylinder would last about 2 1/2 hrs. It would really last a lot longer than that because you are not going to be holding the cutting lever continually for 2 1/2 hours. Welding tips on the oxy-acetylene system use hardly anything compared to cutting tips, there are basically two reasons for that, you are using the two gases at roughly a 1 to 1 ratio compared to one another and you are not using the additional oxygen at higher pressures through an independent orifice. I hope this cleared up some of the confusion. Regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / OAC Welding Tanks