Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1/D14.3 Welder Quals
- - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-13-2006 00:09
Hello guys,
I need some help with the interpretation of AWS D1.1 and D14.3.
It is my understanding that the requirement for welder qualification for these codes (unlimited thickness) is a 1" plate,single vee with backing bar.
The majority of the work we perform is crack repair on large dragline / shovels (up to 8" thick plate) in the mining industry and this joint configuration is rarely seen.
As nearly all the work we perform is to arc gouge the crack out and then reweld I have designed a welder qualification test that incoporates welding and gouging in the same test.
The welder has a 1" plate, square butt, no root gap in the overhead position.The welder gouges approximately halfway through the plate and then welds first side out.He then turns the plate over and again in the overhead position gouges till he meets sound metal and welds this out.
As you are all probably aware an arc gouger can be pretty unforgiving so I thought it a good idea to evaluate their gouging abilities as well as their welding abilities.
I have a qualified WPS ( AS/NZS 1554 Part 1) for this joint and the welder qualification test is accepted by the qualification code (AS 2980).
However, if I am readind the codes correctly I cannot use this test for AWS D1.1 or D14.3.
Can someone help with advice / info please,
Regards,
Shane Feder
Parent - By - Date 01-13-2006 11:00
Shane,
My read on D14.3 is that this would be an acceptable practice, and would fall under the "Method B" of welder qualification.
Mankenberg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1/D14.3 Welder Quals