Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / awsd1.1 6in. pipe test
- - By welder_Rick Date 01-14-2006 01:46
I am currently practesting for 6in. pipe test. one half of the coupon is sch.80 and the other is sch. 160 bored out to leave 3/16 mismatch on the inside. It has a1/8in. gap the sch.160 has no bevel and the sch.80 has a bevel with no landing and there is a restrictor plate on the sch.160 pipe. It is in the 6g position and i have to use 1/8-7018 for the open root and tie in both edges on the inside and the same rod for the filler and cap. Has anyone done this test and do you have any clues on how to get the root pass to tie in to both edges on the inside. Help please.
Parent - By S.E.N.S.E (*) Date 01-14-2006 03:06
Welcome to the wonderful world of welding! For this test, you will push the envelope of the techniques you have developed. When I did this test, I kept the majority of my heat on that unbeveled part. The difference between a "rod burner" and a "welder" is that a welder pays particular attention to what is going on in and around that weld arc. Make sure that your bevel angle is opened up enough to get in there. By your description of this weld I am assuming you are taking the 6GR test. If that bevel angle is not right, it will definitely hinder your ability to get that root in there. Take your time and prep everything to exact specs before you start. Don't be too intimidated by this weld, but don't take it lightly either. Obviously you have shown your talents and have been put in a position to take this weld test, you will do fine. Keep us posted and let us know how you did. Good luck.
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 01-14-2006 04:01
7018 has a tendency to close the gap has you weld. The technique that our welders use is stated below:
1- 4 tacks @12;6;3;& 9
2- start first to weld from 9 and progress to 10:30, i assume this will be your first stop.
3-now go down to 6 and progress to 4:30, this will be your next stop.
4- next complete from 10;30 to 12
5- next complete from 3 to 12.
6- complete next from 4:30 to 3
7- last complete next from 6 to 9.
If you start form the bottom and go to the top, quite often the pipe will draw together and you will have difficulty getting penetration on the upper half.
To get good penetration progress upward moving the rod forward, now the walls of the pipe will get molton, just withdraw the electrode for a moment back into the crater (do not whip). This will give the forwarding edges a split second to cool, as you progress. Keep the same pace.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / awsd1.1 6in. pipe test