Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / X-treme Tig...-ASYMMETRIC POWER SOURCES
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-08-2000 01:53
I would like to begin a discussion focused on experiences, techniques, problems and procedures related to some or all of the following

1. Parameters for AC hand welding employing Asymemetric wave forms

a. X-tremes in Amplitude on each side of the half cycle, and balance control settings

b. X-tremes in Frequency ...-- Htz.

c. X-Treme tungsten......-Electrode selection and tip preps

d. Reliability and performance issues specific to Miller Aerowave and Dynasty models...-- X-treme circut bord fires

e. AC welding of steels...... X-treme etching

F. anything else, including shielding gas mixtures, and shop tricks that you may have found useful

I really appreciate that the "Welding Journal" recently published an article on this subject. I would like to hear feedback that goes beyond the owners manuals and the manufacture hints, from welders and process engineers who employ this technology.

I'll put my 2 cents in on any or all of the above subtopics if someone wll start them off.

Lawrence Bower
Education Development
United Airlines
Parent - By BP Maas (**) Date 12-08-2000 22:26
Much of what you want to discuss is probably considered proprietary,
especially when automation is being employed with the Aerowave.
I can comment on the Dynasty's performance and reliability. In my opinion, this and Thermal Arc's GTSW 300 are the best thing to come along since AC TIG welding was developed for aluminum welding. We have Dynastys in use, both in the field and in our facilities, some are three years old. So far we have only had one board problem, which was covered by warranty. We don't use the Thermal Arcs as much, but, have not had any issues.
When it comes to fillet welds, these machines definitely shine over the old snycrowaves.
I like the first version with the knobs better than the digital read outs, because the welding personnel are used to knobs and scales, so it's easier for them to set. They have adapted to the digital read outs with out too much difficulty though.
With these machines the days of pure or zirconium tungten with a balled end are history. I find a 2% Ceriated tungten sharpened to a point, with an angle face that is two times the electrode diameter in length works the best. For manual welding Argon was always adequate.

Regards, Brad
Parent - By dave hamilton Date 12-09-2000 06:28

I have both machines. They are the ultimate in AC/DC arc performance. The AEROWAVE is better than the Dianasty.
The AEROWAVE can change wave form up to 400Hz, the Dianasty 250Hz. The AEROWAVE will pulse 500 PPS, the
Dianasty will pulse 300 PPS. If you weld with these machine you"ll throw rocks at your G.T.A.W. machine. I have my
AEROWAVE forsale on the AWS equipment website. I don"t need it any more, I have come off the road as a welding
consultant to take a Teaching job in a high school. I have the Dianasty in my lab @ school. It is the older model with
the knobs. The students use it so it is kid proof, they can tear up a anvil. Spend the money you won't be disapointed,
the Quality of your weldments will imporve your bosses hemarolds.

Dave Hamilton
SequoyahTech. Center
Soddy-Daisy, Tn. Stringerbead@bledsoe.net
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-17-2000 00:36
I think you have a good topic, but as stated in one of the responses, most of this infoemation will be proprietary information. A fabricator who paid to qualify a procedure may not wish to diseminate the information he/she paid to obtain. Many of the gas distributers are reluctant to divulge the specific compositions of their mixed gases. I work with pulsed GTAW and GTAW on a regular basis on a variety of materials, BUT, I do not share information I have obtained through R&D (why would I do someone elses homework?)

I have been asked to permit an individual to "copy" WPS's/PQR's that I developed and qualified, again, why would one do the work for another? I never divulge specifics of my research - that is how I earn a living as a consultant. Heed caution, there are some who don't have a problem duplicating your effort!

I am curious as to the responses of your post. I'll check in now and then to see if others don't mind sharing information, after all, were all in the same biz...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / X-treme Tig...-ASYMMETRIC POWER SOURCES