Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ?code or certs for tube welding?
- - By railroadbob Date 01-18-2006 07:54
There are quite a few companies, new and old, building motorcycle frames and selling them, either as a stand-alone part, or as part of a kit, or in a complete motorcycle.
Is there a code or standard that applies to this practice? The material is mostly 1018 or 1020 steel tubing, and sometimes chrome-moly.
If there is a code, are there weld procedures or certifications to comply with?

What kind of protection does the consumer have, besides "buyer beware"?

Thanks, Bob
Parent - By mute Date 03-17-2006 15:51
I dont thin you have to have certs of anykind. If you buy one, make sure it is a kit you have to finish weld, or comes with MSO. If it comes with an mso and it fails, you have a way of getting to them again.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-18-2006 01:50
Hey Bob,
Just a note you may want to follow up on. Been 2-wheelin for 51 years now and have done my share of builds & rebuilds. There is no really true format for frame builders to adhere to other than the specs the manufacturers are required to follow. And I believe those come from the DOT. If you can get chummy with a Harley dealer mechanic, they have the frame specs that Harley follows. Mainly, the frames are put thru a span press device that measures flex between certain areas of the frame. Their weldments are inspected and have a random selected x-ray procedure to do an in-process inspection. They have to really be up to snuff because of the liability.....the independants don't because the frame is only a sub-component. And, yes.....buyer beware....Denny
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / ?code or certs for tube welding?