Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WELDING ON A DOZER
- - By NAPPYKAUKAU Date 01-20-2006 01:00

HELLO, I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM. I HAVE A PROJECT WERE I HAVE TO BUILD UP A FRONT IDLER (THE FRONT WHEEL THE TRACK ROLLS ON) ON A DOZER.
CAN I USE A 7018 5/32 ROD TO DO THIS AND WOULD I HAVE TO DO ANY SPECIAL PREP.

THANKS
Parent - By RICHCHARLES (*) Date 01-20-2006 01:19
I would suggest a 5/32 251 hardfacing electrode for its excellent metal-to-metal abrasion resistance.
Parent - - By SPARKYCA (**) Date 01-20-2006 01:29
hi , I'm no expert on heavy equipment , but I built up a set of worn idlers before. The shop foreman had me stick weld in a zig-zag pattern as i turned the idler wheel ( they were off the machine ). We used a liquid-air electrode called cx-90. It has better impact resistance than 7018 and seems almost every manufacturer has an electrode for metal to metal wear. There are also mig wires available. Perhaps some others may have some more info to help. - WS
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 01-20-2006 04:01
For SMAW welding, try using Stoody Build Up LH (http://www.thermadyne.com/stoody/literature/pdfs/Cse001.pdf) to restore the dimensions, followed by 2 layers of Stoody 1105 (http://www.thermadyne.com/stoody/literature/pdfs/Cse002.pdf) to provide the wear resistance.

If you can weld it semi-sutomatically, use Build Up-O and 105.

Parent - By NAPPYKAUKAU Date 01-20-2006 02:54
THANKS GANG ! OFF TO THE STORE I GO!!!!
Parent - - By cmdwelding (*) Date 01-20-2006 03:13
Hello, maybe I can help you a little here. I do alot of equipment welding where I am at. Usually what you look for in hardfacing is what type of abrasion there is. For Metal-to-Metal wear you need a harfacing rod with about a 55 rockwell or more. Wearshield MM is a good rod for Metal-to-Metal wear. I think you can only stack 2 layers of it though. What I usually do is build up to where I need with 7018 (5/32 or larger) and then run one or two cover passes with the Hardfacing rod. The reason for this is that the hardfacing rod meets the rockwell rating you need for the aplication but 7018 is a little too soft by it self for severe metal-to-metal wear. Others may do it differently but this method seems to work just fine for me. Just remeber to watch your base metal heat and cooling rate. Hope I helped you some.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-20-2006 06:00
Your should heed what cmdwelding is telling you concerning doing your initial build-up with E7018 or some other choice of (soft rod) and then doing your final build up with the hard rod. Too many layers of hard rod will only result in having it chip off when put into service, the soft rod gives the hard rod a base to grab onto and even though you may see cracks and fractures in the final surface application it will most likely stay in place and serve the purpose for which it is intended. You should also consider pre-heat and post-heat applications to minimize stress build-up. Good Luck, aevald
Parent - By NAPPYKAUKAU Date 01-20-2006 12:31
FOR ALL THE INPUT, THANKS AGAIN.
ROBERT
Parent - By NAPPYKAUKAU Date 01-21-2006 00:04
THIS IS GREAT INFO, THANKS EVERYONE ONCE AGAIN!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WELDING ON A DOZER