Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Size
- - By welder6g (**) Date 01-20-2006 17:43
I cannot find a chart in either D1.1 or D1.5 for excessive reinforcement and how you figure the min and max size for a 3/8 plate test V groove?Can someone tell me where to look in either book or how to figure it.I think I remember that the maximum is 7/8 width???Please assist me. What would be the max weld size on a 3/8 test plate according to D1.1?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-20-2006 18:04
D1.1; 5.24.4 (2004 edition) for butt weld reinforcement. width of cap would be a jubject of included angle and root opening, you may look at Fig. 5.3, 5.22.4.1 and also the prequalified joints. Hope this helps.
Parent - - By welder6g (**) Date 01-20-2006 18:22
[deleted]
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-20-2006 19:27
AWS D1.1:2004 5.24.4 and Figure 5.4(D) limit reinforcement to an 1/8" max but as stated above, I wouldn't worry about the cap being wider than the joint if the welder was repairing undercut. A really wide weave may be another story.
John Wright
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2006 18:41
The maximum reinforcement is 1/8 for all groove welds under AWS D1.1. The width of the finished weld is not addressed and is influenced by the groove angle and root opening.

You sound concerned that the welder may get carried away with the cover layer or attempt to correct undercut by "capping" the weld with yet another weld layer that is wider than the layer containing the undercut. That situation can be addressed if you formalize the your visual acceptance criteria. Put what is acceptable in writing and have the welder read it. Remember, the criteria in AWS D1.1 or any other welding standard are the minimum requirements. The manufacturer can tighten the criteria.

The third party inspector is bound by the minimums listed by the applicable welding standard unless and alternate (more tightly controlled) criteria is documented as part of a quality control manual or other contract document.

Welder qualification programs should be formalized with published visual acceptance criteria. The VT criteria should be made known to the welder before the test starts. My program includes a listing of the tools that are permitted, personal protection that must be used, what the welder can and can't do during the test, i.e., the test coupon can't be removed from the test position for cleaning, etc., a WPS that must be followed, and the visual acceptance criteria. The welder reviews the documents with the test witness and signs the documents before the test is started. All the "rules and regulations" stay with the welder during the test. As stated in a previous thread, I also include a photograph of the welder on the test report, assuming the welder passes the test. I don't issue a report if the welder fails. I've had an instance where the welder worked for over a year with papers stamped "failed" before anyone read the test report.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-20-2006 19:19
Well said. As I tried to indicate in my post, the finished face width is a fuction of joint geometry; if, for example, a joint has "typical" 45 degree bevel on each piece of a 3/8" plate then the included angle would be 3/4" PLUS the root opening. IF the root opening was then, for example, 1/8" then the finish face would be 7/8."

6G: Does this make better sense with the above examples?

Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Size