Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Plastic weld inspection samples
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 01-20-2006 19:46
Where can I find those plastic welds with defects used in the CWI testing?

Brian
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-20-2006 20:09
Good question. For some reason I don´t know, AWS is silent about plastic welds. So is our ABS, the Brazilian Welding Association. Why? Don´t plastic welds deserve the honor of being considered by those institutions? Aren`t plastic welds sufficiently important? This is not so; the natural gas distribution system that was installed in Sao Paulo city, a huge work that was finished a couple of years ago, used HDPE (high density polyethylene) pipes that support a pressure of 10 bars (about 150 psig) and were welded using the "hot plate" method.
If Americans and Brazilians don`t give plastic weld the importance it deserves, British do. The TWI (The Welding Institution) site speaks a lot on plastic welding: www.twi.co.uk
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-20-2006 20:58
Giovanni,
I wasn't sure if you were trying to be humorous in your post or not, but I took it that way:) It brightend my day.

Brian was talking about the weld samples we had to look at when taking our CWI exams. They have these weld samples that are cast in plastic to simulate actual joints that are welded and we had to evaluate them according to the criteria that they gave us.

But...Plastic welds do deserve the honor of being considered:)
John Wright
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-26-2006 19:12
Honestly, I was speaking seriously. I misunderstood Brian's question.
English being not my mother language, I can be forgiven for the confusion I raised up.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 01-20-2006 20:17
Weld Replica's can be found here. (from TWI)
http://www.maintenanceresources.com/productsshowcase/weld.htm

Rich
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Plastic weld inspection samples