Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cutting blade edge build-up
- - By lake (*) Date 01-27-2006 05:46
A customer brought in a cutter blade from a heavy duty medical lab waste disposal unit. They chop up plastic and glass bottles, syringes, test tubes and who knows what else. The cutting edge is worn about a quarter of an inch back from original surface (the edge is about 1-1/2 " long) They tell me these things are made from 8620 alloy and carburized to about 55Rc. New blade is 130.00.They are about 6" across, 4" thick(with a profile) and weigh about 7-8 lbs. They use about 1 per week.As soon as the case hardening goes, they wear quickly and the increased clearances allows trapping of the debris between the chamber wall and the blade. I'd like to give this a shot.It looks like a quick repair. Nothing too precise required. Seems more like tool and die welding with such small surface to work with, but I'd like to avoid heat treatment if at all possible. Haven't had much luck looking around the net for tig hardfacing rod or application information. Would appreciate any help with this question from this group. I'm truly impressed by the depth and breadth of the knowlege base found here. I was thinking along the lines of A-2 or M-2 tool steel tig rod, but not even sure where to go for that or even if it would work. I have some lincoln "faceweld" hardfacing stick rod that I could try, and some horse shoe borium. There are a number of these blades to play with, and I hope to come up with something servicable if possible.
Thank you and regards to all.
Lake
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 01-27-2006 14:30
If you have a Jet Spray torch, try either 65TG or even 85TG spray powder to build up the edge:

http://www.thermadyne.com/stoody/literature/pdfs/spray-powders.pdf

I wouldn't recommend Horseshoe Borium as it has VERY large tungsten carbide particles (8 x 10 mesh). The spray powder is finer mesh and lets you control the thickness on an edge.

If you want to use SMAW, try Stoody Self Hardening:

http://www.thermadyne.com/stoody/literature/pdfs/Crce001.pdf

HTH

Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-27-2006 15:41
Hello Lake, with the cost of a new blade being $130.00 it doesn't take long to eat that up when you're trying to do a rebuild for less than that. I guess what I'm driving at is, if you are able to come up with a process that can truly be done rather quickly and possibly last longer and give better service then go for it. I kind of think that it may end up being a wash. Most of the tig alloys that would be suited for this type of repair can be rather spendy also. I will be interested to hear how this comes out for you so please keep us posted. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - By lake (*) Date 01-27-2006 19:58
Hi,
Yeh, I understand what you mean Aevald, but as i look at the complexity of that blade and the size and heft of it, I don't really think they are buying it for 130 bucks. Any how, my thoughts are exactly like yours when costs vs. benefit are considered. Thanks for the input. I will keep you posted.
Lake
Parent - By Sean (**) Date 01-27-2006 23:18
You may want to try a Sodel 245/243. They are based in Canada and specialize in maintenance and repair consumables. The 245 is supposed to give you around 62 HRC I haven't seen this consumable in action; however, a lot of people around swear by them... I have tried some of Sodel's other products and they seem to work quick well.

It comes in SMAW and TIG consumables. http://www.sodel.com

It might be worth your while to find out what the hardest thing they are cutting and harden/build up the new blades accordingly. It doesn't bring back more blades but lots of word of mouth and other advertising...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cutting blade edge build-up