Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Galvanized Coating Removal
- - By Aporter Date 01-27-2006 22:51
I'm an art student at my university with an emphasis in metal sculpture. Recently I've been working with chain and creating forms with it. Lumber store chain is easiest to find but in order to weld it I need to heat off all the zinc coating on it. This ends up not only costing alot of acetylene, but also burning a hole in the ozone above the shop. I was curious to see if anyone knows any methods of soaking galvanized/zinc coated steel in solutions that will dissolve the coating, or something effective. I would order it online, but then again, chain is heavy and shipping might be a bitch.

Thanks for the help.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-28-2006 01:34
Hello Aporter, I don't know which hardware stores are in your area, but you should be able to buy bare chain without any sort of coating on it at all. There may be some sort of chemical solution that would strip this off for you but I don't think you would really want to go down that road. If you have an Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot, True Value Hardware, or just about any other sort of hardware store, you should be able to buy bare uncoated chain in many different sizes. Good Luck, aevald
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-28-2006 10:39
Almost any acid will disolve zinc. Vinegar should work, Muriatic acid (HCl) surely will. Be careful, muriatic acid is also corrosive to people, rubber gloves and apron and eye protection all highly recommended; fumes very irritating, good ventilation required. Lots of hydrogen bubbles will be produced, work somewhere that overflow wont hurt anything. Hydrogen is very flamable, protect from ignition sources.

It seems that uncoated chain is called "self colored" by the industry. If you can find it that's the ideal solution. Why pay extra for plating and then buy acid to remove it.

Bill
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 01-28-2006 17:23
no mention of the poisonous nature of zinc oxide here. It'll make you sick with flulike symtoms and the long term consequences are still somwhat foggy out in weldworld. Also consider that other coatings may have been used on the chain, especially if manufactured outside the U.S. Lead, and cadmium would be my concerns. Just ventilate whatever you do with heat and metal.
Parent - By zack08f Date 01-30-2006 01:27
Aporter,
Hey there. I haven't worked with chains, but I am a scavenger for sheet metal. I take whatever I can get. Recently I've come across some old coke machines that have great sheet metal hidden underneath. I've had to strip the paint off then "brush" out the galvinization. If you have a drill, get a stipping wheel. This may not be the correct name, but they look like brillo pads with a drill bit on one end. This may be difficult since you don't exaclty have a flat surface to work with, but it will remove the toxins at least from the area you need. Otherwise, like the others suggested, they do sell non-galvinized/zinc coated chains.
Hope it helps.
Zack
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 03-06-2006 07:26
what works for me . also works on rust and many other things . 5 gallon plastic bucket with lid . mix lemon juice and table salt . you can add more salt if you want it stronger . doesn't take much , but enough to completely cover what you put in . put the lid on and let it set over- nite . then remove and wash with water . dry completely with a rag . coat with vegetable oil should not rust any more . i also noticed when one of my friends put some of their stuff in it cleaned off all of the galvanize coating started using it to clean zinc coatings off some metal parts before welding . it works . you might want to wear rubber gloves to remove , it makes a sludge and stinks a lot thats why the lid . i call it uncle willys rust remover . hope it works for you . willie
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Galvanized Coating Removal