Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Owning your own welding truck?
- - By shroomygirlkk Date 01-29-2006 02:57
just wondering if anyone owning their own truck can give me a little help in understanding the paperwork involved and anything else useful! we are moving to Alberta end of the year and my b/f is a journyman welder who wants his own truck and welder but I am uncertain of what is all involved in this process. Thanks!
Parent - By beracah (*) Date 01-31-2006 03:34
I own and operate a mobile welding service here in front range Colorado so I am not sure of all the rules and regs in Alberta, but I would be happy to tell you about the paperwork I deal with down here.

First, a good accountant is an absolute must. I save reciepts for deductions and of course invoices. Save everything and let your accountant sort it out. I also have a business attorney on retainer and to set me up as an LLC but again I don't know if your government has a similar system.

I also keep copies of my business insurance and welding certs in the truck for any customer who may need to see them. Keep some business cards in the truck or in your wallet.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Beracah

Parent - By Stick rod Date 01-31-2006 06:35
You might want to check out the Miller motersports web site.There are several owners of rigs that spend time there and they are very helpful.www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/.
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 02-01-2006 00:05
Plan on getting a 'collection' of 'stuff'.
Mobile or not, welders tend to collect things.
You'll need some space.
A forklift or a front end loader should be on the list of early acquisitions
Parent - By metalord Date 02-02-2006 00:53
Hi
You were inquiring about needing a GST # for portable welders in alberta. You are right you need to get one and you can do that easliy on the government of alberta website. You also need liability insurance, and wcb coverage to work as a contractor. As far as the forklift and frontend loader that I cant see where it would come in handy, but you never know what you might have to do!!There is lots of work in Alberta, it should not be hard for him to get going. We have our own bookeeping system "SimplyAccounting", that my girlfriend does all the invoices and keeping track of all the out going expenses, but we do have an accountant for the year end and tax returns, etc. Hope this has been helpful, if you need to know anything else if I can help email me at jcsserv@telus.net Metalord
Parent - By IRWelder (*) Date 02-03-2006 01:28
He will also have to decide whether to operate as a corporation or a sole proprietorship. There are disadvantages and advantages to either choice. An accountant or lawyer could guide you in that decision.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Owning your own welding truck?