Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Proper Weld Symbol Callout - Simple Tack
- - By E.Cyganik Date 01-30-2006 18:50
What is the proper type of weld (Spot?) for the definition of a weld to be used to secure two threaded parts together? A cylinder w/female thread & a retainer w/male thread require a weld, 4 places, 90 degrees apart such that the parts cannot be unthreaded.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-30-2006 19:34
A spot weld is defined as a weld that is made between or upon overlapping members in which coalescence may start and occur on the faying surfaces or may proceed from the outer surface of one member.
A tack weld is defined as a short weld made at intermittent points to hold abutting edges together. The lengths of the weld, spacing between the welds, and design of the tack weld should always be specified. I'd say the proper type of weld in your case is a tack weld. We do something similar where we tack weld nuts to the bottoms of anchor rods.
Parent - - By E.Cyganik Date 01-30-2006 21:39
Thank you for the quick reply.
I agree with a tack weld but isn't "tack" an expression or description versus a type of weld? I'm using a CAD package (Weld Symbols per AWS) and "Tack" is not available.
On your drawings are you specifying a Fillet weld? Or, something else?
Again, thanks for the timely response.
Eddie
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 01-30-2006 22:40
You should be able to use a fillet weld on one side specifying what size weld and length. Then put 90 degrees apart in the tail of the weld symbol.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 01-30-2006 22:50
We just specify tack weld, but since you're using CAD and it doesn't recognize tack welds you're probably going to have to show a fillet weld and specify the size, lengths, and locations, as QCCWI mentioned.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-31-2006 17:19
Is there any reason that you have to have a weld symbol? Could you use an arrow and state Tack- 90* apart?
AWS A2.4-98 Article 1.3 allows pretty much anything that conveys the weld requirements, which addresses the unusual situations very easily.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-31-2006 20:12
I was gonna suggest what Chet mentioned, the purpose of a weld symbol is to simply convey to the welder exactly what work needs to be done.
By using an arrow pointing to the joint and in the tail simply call out
<---<"tack weld 4 places @ 90* apart".

John Wright
Parent - - By E.Cyganik Date 01-31-2006 21:16
First of all, "Thank You" to all who replied to this message. We do not do very much welding here so each time there is a requirement, we need to investigate for proper callout(s).
I will agree that a simple note callout would suffice, but I do have one more question:
If "Tack Weld" is specified, what would the size be? Would this be per an "AWS" standard or just a "workmanship" standard?
I'm thinking that if there is concern about the weld, we would have to specify a fillet with a desired size.
Thanks again everyone.
Parent - - By jerrykroll (**) Date 02-01-2006 01:58
Perhaps refer to AWS D1.1 - Structural Welding Code - Steel

5.18 Temporary and Tack Welds
......some applications tack welds not allowed
.......sometimes tack welds are removed
.........other times incorporated into the final weld
.........etc.

about 1/2 page long, so best to find a copy.

Also - Section 4 describes various aspects and requirements for qualifying tack welders.

Parent - By E.Cyganik Date 02-01-2006 18:05
Okay, AWS D1.1 it is.
Again, thanks to everyone.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Proper Weld Symbol Callout - Simple Tack