Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Qualification Test Records
- - By kseise Date 02-02-2006 23:25
I have a supplier who has a welder that welded a tube groove test piece in the 6G position. The tube is .75 in. O.D. and .035 inches thick. What sheet groove, tube groove, sheet fillet, and tube fillet positions are that welder qualified to and what thickness and O.D. minimums and maximums is he qualified to, keeping in mind a groove weld does not qualify for fillet welds in base metal less than or equal to .063 inches in thickness?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-06-2006 15:40
I might be shooting myself in the foot for not looking it up, but I believe the range is 0.667T to 4T. T in your case is 0.035 inch. As for the fillet welds, as you said, 0.063 inch is the minimum material thickness, unless a fillet weld test is performed on the minimum thickness (less than 0.063 inch) used in production.

The rest of your questions will need to be answered by studing the applicable welding standard which is based on the requirements of MIL-STD-1595A (no longer supported by the military).

Good luck - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Qualification Test Records