Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig rods
- - By lumpyguy Date 02-04-2006 16:55
I am new to Tig welding and I am doing not bad and it is tough
I am welding 1/8 mild steel and everything is sanded and cleaned and I can get a good pool and can fusion weld great but alot of undercutting but as soon as I try and use filler it goes poppy and the black pockets form. the rod I am using is 3/32 with copper coated. Should I use something different I am set at 10 cfm and ok tung setting. also I an using a 1/16 2% tung and a nice point. all parts and tung and filler were cleaned to remove grease. I used a denatured alcohol (brake cleans) I am going to get some acetone. please any help I am getting great penetration and I want to get the welds filled properly. please any help thanks!
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-04-2006 17:45
Is the filler rod ER 70S2, if it is you have the correct filler. If it is RG45 you have an oxy-acetylene rod and should not be used for GTAW. You may want to drop back to 1/16" diameter filler rod for the 1/8" thickness.
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 02-04-2006 18:54
Undercutting is usually the result or too much heat, or wrong angle of the tungsten. I agree that you probably have oxy/fuel filler wire. Allthough it is unlikely, check any way to make sure you have the proper gas and not a mix gas like 75/25. You should be using pure argon.

Mike
Parent - - By lumpyguy Date 02-04-2006 23:45
yes I just checked and the filler has r45 stamped on the end of it. I told the guy I needed 3/32 tig rod for mild steel I guess he sold me the wrong stuff. thanks for the help can you use filler for stainless on mild steel cuz a buddy gave me some 1/16 stainless rod but I have not tried it.
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 02-05-2006 06:03
No problem using stainless filler on carbon steel.
When training our welders, we usually use ER308L or ER309L on carbon steel material. The technique is the same and the cost of material is cheaper.
Good-luck!
Parent - - By lumpyguy Date 02-05-2006 16:03
Thanks for the help I love this site everyone is very helpfull!
Parent - By lumpyguy Date 02-09-2006 02:48
yes it was all about the filler rod I got some new rod and it made all the difference
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig rods