Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Macro etching
- - By dbigelow Date 02-06-2006 19:07
Can someone give me the formula for the acid and procedure for preping the weld area and appling the solution?
I read that 10% nitric acid in alcohol would work. tried it and it didnt give the results i wanted. i didnt know what kind of alcohol to use.
I want to be able to see the difference between the base metal and weld metal, as well as the heat affected zone.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-06-2006 20:20
Here are some threads from the archives.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=7233#33546

http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=2912#10266

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=5668#26144

The response from DGXL still cracks me up: ...."I used to buy my acid from some guy with long hair, tie-die t-shirt, sandals and a beard (he also needed a shower). Now I buy my acid from..."

Hope this information helps
~thirdeye~
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-07-2006 16:13
Just a note,
The solution depends on the material that you wish to etch, those links should give enough info to get you going.

Thirdeye,
Yup, DGXL's reply still gets a smile when I read it too :)
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-07-2006 17:11
Just curious John- what kind of metal do you etch with lysergic acid diethylmide? I always used to prefer the carbonic acid/alcohol mix (comes in bottles or aluminum cans) whenever I got etched. Now I'm too old to enjoy that.

Chet
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-07-2006 17:31
Chet,
I have to confess....

......I had to google "lysergic acid diethylmide" to figure out what you were talking about. I've seen the lingering effects of LSD in a couple of old High School buddies and I don't think I ever want to take one of those trips, that kind of vacation seems to hang on long after you are back home again. :)
John Wright

edit: I gave our night shift a test last night and had a few that seemed to have something to worry about. Sad to see people jeopardize their lively hood by attending a Super Bowl party, when they have families to support.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-08-2006 03:08
AWS B2.1 lists a number of etchants for use on different base metals and alloy types.

I wouldn't recommend that you mix the reagents yourself unless you have laboratory experience and understand the dangers involved. You can usually purchase the etchants from a local laboratory if you tell them what you want mixed. Most etchants are most reactive when fresh and lose strength with time. The quantity needed is very small.

Best regards - Al

Parent - By brande (***) Date 04-23-2006 04:50
Use a flap wheel, scotchbrite or equivalent to get as close to a mirror finish as possible.

Concentrated Nitric acid alone for the first dip.
Concentrated Nitric 50% in alchohol, water or methanol for second dip.

Ammonium persulfate also works well. It must be vigously rubbed with a cotton ball or equivalent on the surface for an etch.

Dry and coat with clear laquer or equivalent.

Good Luck

brad
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Macro etching