Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI - Inspecting for the Navy
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-09-2006 18:29
I'm trying to gather some information on the number of CWIs that are engaged in inspection or consulting for Navy work. Specifically, I'm interested in CWI/SCWIs working on projects that specify NAVSEA S9074-AR-GIB-010/278, NAVSEA T9074-AD-GIB-010/1688, or NAVSEA T9074-AS-GIB-010/271.

Please respond if you are certified as an AWS CWI or SCWI civilian empoyee for the U.S. Navy, enlisted in the U.S. Navy, or work for a contractor. I would also be interested in your opinion of the AWS QC1 program and the ASNT SNT-TC-1A for visual welding inspection.

I'm working on a presentation to champion recognition of AWS QC1 as a viable option to SNT-TC-1A for the certification of visual welding inspectors. This information will be used only for the purpose of compiling the nuimber of individuals that are currently CWI/SCWI working in this industry. Your name, address, etc. will not be passed on to anyone else. Your name will not be added to a spammer's list. i will contact you only if you give me permission to do so.

Thanks - Albert Moore
AMoore999@comcast.net

Parent - - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 08-25-2006 23:35
I am a welder in the Navy which I use NAVSEA S9074-AR-GIB-010/278, NAVSEA T9074-AD-GIB-010/1688, and NAVSEA T9074-AS-GIB-010/271 on a daily basis. The Navy is sending me to the CWI seminar here in San Diego hopefully it will increase my awareness in our welder qualification program and welding quality control program.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-29-2006 16:05
Thanks for your reply.

I agree with your superiors that you will get some very good training by attending the CWI seminar. Sending you to the seminar was a good decision on their part.

I did attend the Navy's NDT conference in San Diego this past spring and I put on my dog and pony show. Unfortunately, it had already been decided by a subcommittee that the Navy would not recognize the AWS CWI program as meeting the intent of NAVSEA 271 for visual welding inspectors. I sincerely feel that the decision made by the subcommittee is not to the Navy's benefit.

With that in mind, I find it very interesting that your superiors are sending you to the CWI seminar. I applaud them for recognizing the benefits of the CWI training, if not the CWI certification. Again, I believe the training you will receive will prepare you for any subsequent certification examination you take in the future. Bear in mind that some of the requirements for fabrication and inspection will be different. The AWS course will be based on AWS requirements, mainly D1.1, but the fundamentals of welding don't change just because the welding standard does.

I teach a course for welders that work to NAVSEA 278 and 1688 as required in NAVSEA 248 as part of the "certification" process. Much of the curriculum parallels the CWI training. The part that differs is that I cover the fabrication, workmanship, and inspection requirements of NAVSEA 278 and 1688, and MIL-STD-2035 in place of AWS D1.1 or API 1104.

If you enjoy welding as much as I do, you will really enjoy the CWI seminar. You will be exhausted at the end of the day simply due to the quantity of information covered. Just remember, it is different than military requirements and don't fall into the trap of saying out loud, "That's not the way we do it!" It's embarrassing!

Good luck and enjoy the seminar. Please let me know what your personal experience is with the seminar and what you liked or disliked. I am not an instructor for AWS so there's no conflicts there, but I am definitely interested in hearing your comments.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 09-26-2006 23:21
Al,

I completed the CWI seminar last week finishing up with the exam. The seminar was very intense and I really liked the discussions and the wealth of knowledge of the instructor. I felt good about the fundementals and code book tests, but I am concerned on how well I did on the hands on portion of the exam.

When I went back to work this week, I found myself using some of the training in my welder qualification program such as organizing our code book with tabs to quickly find information and conducting a informational VTs before our welders submit their test coupon to NDT.

I am really glad I was able to attend the CWI seminar. I hope in six weeks I wiil get my results and I will be a CWI.

Chris
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 09-27-2006 03:18
Good luck shipfitter88.

Mike
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2006 03:41
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the AWS CWI Review.

I was already a CWI when I attended my first CWI Review. I attended just to see what they had to say. I learned alot, as a matter of fact, I usually attend a CWI Review every five years or so just to brush up and to make sure that I cover everything in my training sessions.

I'm sure you did well and I expect to hear from you telling me you passed with flying colors. Keep in touch!

Best regards -Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI - Inspecting for the Navy