Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pricing a welding job
- - By peter.paras (*) Date 02-12-2006 01:51
Trying to start a small part time portable welding business in Kansas. How do you go about pricing a job taking into consideration time, vehicle, welder use, material etc?

Thanks
Novice Welder
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 02-12-2006 05:33
Hey Pete,
I'll just give you a few parameters to consider when trying to quote a price. I live east of Pittsburgh,PA, so geographic area may or may not be a factor. I charge a flat $45 for the service call alone. This is to cover all your mobile expenses. My welding rates are flexible since I prefer cash. A cash rate is $25/hr, not including material, and anything else is $35-$45/hr, not including material. Be careful regarding your rates when welding difficult jobs such as cast iron/steel, aluminum, and stainless. Remember, cast has to be pre-heated and you have time and acet/oxy that has to be included in your pricing. Also, you have to consider any material that has to be cut, fabricated, and fitted to the job. This is TIME!!! And the price for the raw material. Take some time and go to your metal supplier and try to get some quotes for raw material. If you can scrounge as I do, you can really enhance your profitability. Even check out some scrap yards for usuable material if one is handy to your location. The last note I would pass on is QUALITY!!!! Give a first class job. And never take a job you aren't equipped with your welders and your knowledge. If there's something you can't weld....then learn by practice. Hope I helped a bit. Feel free to ask any questions....Denny
Parent - - By peter.paras (*) Date 02-13-2006 19:22
Denny,
Thanks for answering. Good information, will have to charge a lot less since I'm not a pro. Will do some small jobs for farmers around here for free on non-critical items. Looking to buy an older Lincoln SA-200, am told this will do most jobs.

thanks
Pete
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 02-14-2006 02:56
Hi again Pete,
Some more advice....take it with a grain of salt if need be. Do yourself a favor....NOTHING FOR FREE!!!! Listen, you are entitled to make a few bucks on any job, large or small, and you cannot survive giving your time, materials, and labor for free. Even your best friend, or family, a couple bucks to pay for your welding gas and welding wire you are entitled to. If you start working for free, believe me, everyone will expect a free job........DON'T !!! I have done many jobs for my brothers and other family members, and I charge them just enough to cover my expenses. If they have to go out somewhere else to get the job done, do you think it will be for free? Ask most and they will tell you the same....family members can be the worse.....they think they are entitled to free......does their car mechanic, store owner, dentist, doctor do their services for free???? Hey, I like to see when you newbies get it going on the right track. You just, at times, need some older, wiser guidance. Been welding 40 years now....love it today as I did the first day. It is an honorable profession. HEY... Get good at it.....practice...practice...practice. If you have to start out being reasonable, at least give yourself a rate of $10/hr. not counting material. Even a quicky job....EX.: a cracked mower deck....minimum- $15......Do you think a mower deck can be bought for $15. ? Pete, just make a couple bucks on every job, put it in a cigar box, and after a year see how much you have....then go buy yourself a brand new welder and really have fun :>)))) I still have my 40 yr old cigar box........ Good luck......denny
Parent - - By peter.paras (*) Date 02-14-2006 13:56
Thanks, I will follow your advice.
Pete
Parent - By flamed94xp Date 02-14-2006 20:26
good advise.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pricing a welding job