Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI
- - By gsi (**) Date 02-15-2006 15:56
A coworker and I were just discussing the good old days growing up in the trade. His father was a CWI and thinks that he had taking the exam in the early 80s. When in fact did the AWS start certifying CWI?
Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 02-15-2006 16:32
I think it was 1982 or 1983
Parent - - By - Date 02-15-2006 16:37
1976. Check the Foreword of QC1.
Mankenberg
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 02-15-2006 18:51
wow-I was just looking for the start date of the CWI program for a powerpoint presentation...thanks!!
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-15-2006 19:22
Man, you guys are making this one feel awfully old... Got my CWI in 1980...
Parent - - By John Drew Date 02-26-2006 00:21
I don't think anyone was "CWIed" in '76, & '77. There was talk, but no action until '78 or '79.
I believe that a few were tested in '78. Of course I could be mistaken about all this. The reason it sticks in my mind was that I wanted to take the test sooner that I was able to, w/o going out of town.
I took & passed it in the fall of '79 in Long Beach, CA.
The ~30 of us that passed the test that day were some of the earlier #s.

John
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 03-03-2006 01:24
Whew!,
Yep, that was in the good old days.
1979 Chicago and I worked for Magnaflux. I was married to a real hottie!!
Not much has changed; I recommend listening and learning.
Best regards,
VONASH
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 03-03-2006 01:35
Thanks Dave,
You just revealed my competition in the industry. Only the more experienced fellows of OUR trade really matter to me. You have given them the opportunity to reveal themselves and as such I shall revere them forever.
Best regards,
VONASH
Parent - By gsi (**) Date 11-27-2006 15:18
I made this post last February.

A fellow CWI and I were talking about the "good old days".

I have often refereed to my past experience as the "good old days".

After working with some of the finest tradesmen, and also attending vo-tech, collage and seminars, thought the same thing." Man, if I could ever even understand what he's talking about, I'd be happy"...

As I continue to build experience I still wonder the same thing from time to time.  I also believed the more experience fellows of the trade are the ones that hold the key, and the younger tradesmen hopefully will someday feel the same. Because we live in the GOOD OLD DAYS.   

Parent - - By CECW7611 Date 11-22-2006 15:28
1976, The first four digits in your sert number is the year and month you were certified in. My first four digits are 7611... I've looked at the SCWI but was told I would get a new certification number. i'm proud of the fact that i've been a CWI for over 30 years now. i'm told there aren't many of us still around. AWS has indicated that they may put together an issue celebrating 30 years of the CWI program. I would be interested in seeing how many of us have survived this long.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-22-2006 15:45
Marshall, I wondered if there were any Class of 76 still around!  One of my mentors, a man by the name of Wally Urbick was one of the first.  Many hated Wally because he was so damned dogmatic but I loved him, he helped me a lot along the way.  I took my first CWI Seminar from him in 1979 and simply marveled at listening to him talk thinking "Man, if I could ever even understand what he's talking about, I'd be happy"... Now, so many years later I still hold very fond thoughts of this pioneer who helped me so much along the way... wouldn't it be nice if all of us had people to remember us this fondly?

I have asked the Certification Department to look into its oldest members and perhaps present some type of award or recognition.  The CWI Program has literally made many peoples careers better, my own included but now being an uninterrupted CWI since 1980 (now an SCWI), I wouldn't mind having some little token of recognition.  By the way, my original CWI first 4 digits was 8011 and at the time I heard there were less than 5000 CWI's in the world... dunno if thats fact or fiction though.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 11-22-2006 16:20
You'd think for your particular status they'd find a way to let you keep your number!

Hg
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI