Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDE Certs (RT excluded)
- - By x77 Date 02-15-2006 16:03
I was curious as to whether anyone knew if it would be best to get such certifications such as UT, ect locally or are there well reputed places online to do such things. I have to do something while I await my CWI test results and i figure this would be a good place to start.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-15-2006 16:51
I really doubt you'll find a reputable place you can get certs online (probably some good online study materials) because, as I'm sure you'll know, certification requires hands on testing; i.e., practical. Hellier is probably one of the more recognized schools but not being an NDE Tech myself thats just about all I know.
Parent - - By x77 Date 02-15-2006 18:57
That makes sense. I have a little money to put into it and I really wish I knew what to go for first, I have many plans for later but the order in which i execute them will have to be played by ear i suppose. I am down in s. texas and all i hear is that UT techs are in demand, thats about the only lead i can follow.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-15-2006 19:26
UT Techs are in demand everywhere. From what I understand its a real good field provided you have a knack for the math part! In my opinion, the MT and PT field is flooded so I wouldn't spend spend any money pursuing that if it were me. Another good and somewhat related discipline is Eddy Current. Okay, those would be my suggestions but like I said, I'm not an NDE technician so I'm only speaking from my own observations.
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 02-15-2006 19:27
It might be hard landing a UT job without any prior training and quite a bit of experience. The only real way I know of would be to get employed with an NDT company and put in your time and sweat for them. Then they might possibly train you in-house. Look at it this way, if I need a UT performed, it only needs to be by one tech. I'm not going to pay for a trainee also. And, an NDT company probably won't put as much of an effort into training an inexperienced new hire as they would an MT & PT tech/RT assistant that has busted their balls for them and shown them they are interested in learning.

Online training, or whatever kind of training you get on your own will only help your knowledge of UT. I can almost guarantee there isn't a single company that would hire a person for level II UT with simply online training. Not trying to burst any bubles here but, UT requires alot of knowledge and experience. If your just starting out, look for at least 3 years of training and hands on experience WITH AN NDT COMPANY to become a level II UT tech.

I am also in S. Texas. Where are you located?
Parent - - By x77 Date 02-16-2006 19:07
(To tito: Corpus christi area, though not quite working yet)

Truth be told I have been interested in UT and ET, though I was never enlightened as to the available job opportunities (only that there would have to be one eventually). If be it the case that I wont find a need to train for UT until I actually work for the company wanting me certified in it then i suppose my best course of action is to await my CWI results and see how it goes from there. I have been interested in the NDE field for a while but I thought it best to become an inspector before looking (and spending) deeply into it. Some experienced welders and cwi i know say ET training would look good on a resume.
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 02-16-2006 20:37
Alot of NDT companies have CWI inspectors. I don't know what your plan is as far as employment (what type of co.) but you could check about getting hired with an NDT co. Show you are a valuable asset and let them know up front you want to also learn about and become a UT inspector. If UT techs are in demand, then there should be no reason a company would not train the "right" person. I know quite a few UT/CWI inspectors. Most where UT then got their CWI and have also said they dont really use the CWI part of it that much, its just a good qualification. I am not a UT tech, but I do know a bit about the principals of it and how much it takes to be a truely good tech. You can't expect to do some training and go out and find a job as one. You couldn't do that with you CWI could you? You had to put in what, 5 years experience related to welding, and train, and study, and test. As I said, the right company should be willing to train the right person.

As for ET, I cant hardly remember much about it. I had some training on it in school, and with an NDT company I worked for. It seemed complicated to me. I do remember though, at the NDT company, there wasn't much ET to be done. Just every once in a while and the only one that did it was the level III. I think of it as on the same lines as UT, alot of training and experience to be good at it.

It never, never, ever hurts to learn about things. Just because you feel you may not become a UT or ET tech soon, read, read, read. It can only help you out no matter what. One thing you could do is call an NDT company (in Corpus there are alot of them) and see if they can refer you where to get proper training material.

BTW - I'm in Victoria
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-17-2006 08:08
You cannot get certified in NDT methods without classroom training and on the job experience. Sorry it is not that simple. Go to www.asnt.org and it will tell you what is required.
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 02-23-2006 23:16
I agree with NDTIII
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2006 14:25
Try GE Inspection Technologies(Krautkramer NDT school). They are the mfg for Krautkramer USN UT machines and we've purchased two of their machines over the years(a USN50 and recently a USN58L)
They offer UT classes and may even have a 80 hour training class scheduled near you. I went to their Lewistown, PA classes over the years. Jim Fauth is head of the UT training and is very knowledgable.
Best Wishes,
John Wright
Parent - By BamaDave (**) Date 02-27-2006 01:53
To my knowledge there isn’t a online course available at this time.

In my opinion the first place to start would to purchase a set of General Dynamics books written for the training of NDE personnel. They have a basic NDE/Materials book that needs to be first on the list and move on to UT from there. These books will provide you with the understanding that you will need to get started and they are written at a level that will be very easily to understand. Once you complete this training you should be at a level component enough to pass a level I or possibly a level II examination. Regardless in accordance with most companies written practices as well as SNT-TC-1A or CP-189 you will need on the job experience prior to qualifying to be tested and certified. This is the best avenue to take prior to going to any formal (Hellier or Krautkramer) training, as you will be able to understand much more and won’t be overwhelmed from the start.

A CWI with the General Dynamics training will be very desirable for any NDE company and if you want to pursue UT or ET you should be able to secure an assistant position that can be honed to the trained required to obtain those certifications.

The path I outlined was the same that I followed many, many years ago and my father who is a retired Level III/CWI required of me back then.

Hope this helps!

BamaDave
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDE Certs (RT excluded)