Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / grooves?
- - By cryogenicshaun (**) Date 02-18-2006 14:21
is there any device available which alows you to check the radius of a j groove or a bevel? (degrees?). for instance if you were out in the field and wanted to verify it. i know theres fillet weld gauges but are there any types for this?
Parent - - By sdcwi (*) Date 02-19-2006 05:37
I haven't seen anything specifically for welding, but machinists use precision radius gauges that would probably work. Check out mcmaster.com or mscdirect.com, you can purchase them individually or in sets.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-19-2006 05:51
Try this link:
http://www.newmantools.com/gauge/weldgaugeindex.htm
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-19-2006 13:40
The radius gauges mentioned are fairly inexpensive and easy to get.
All I wanted to add is, whenever I find I need to measure a radius, my gauges are not always handy. In those situations I look around to find round objects and measure their size. Pen caps, coins, washers, anything that works.
If the situation requires more precision than that, then I would probably have my gauges with me.

This is off topic but one situation I found myself in: I needed to inspect welds in another city, so I stopped by the airport TSA office before flying out to make sure my fillet gauges could go in my carry-on bag. They examined them and I was told "no problem". A couple of months later, I had one, 1/8" radius gauges with me, which caused a stir. The only reason I was allowed to keep my gauge is because the TSA supervisor I had spoken to months earlier happened to be supervising that checkpoint and remembered our prior conversation. I was treated with courtesy and thankfully was not pressed for time, but the delay was not appreciated because I had taken steps to avoid problems. I mailed my gauges back to myself on the return trip. (I could have put the gauges in checked baggage but wanted to avoid that because I had to connect on different airlines.) Point being, if you need to fly with your weld gauges, put them in checked baggage because not all TSA employees interpret the rules the same way.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 02-19-2006 16:12
Thanks for the insight Chet,
with national security where it is today its becoming more and more difficult to know the rules to follow to play the game. Rules change, and intrepretation of the rules vary. There does not seem to be a specific script to follow. Best advice might be to do your homework, and beyond that be prepared for the unexpected.
CHRIS
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / grooves?