Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Power Supply??
- - By Josh Clare (*) Date 12-13-2000 15:48
We are currently GMAW-P welding hydraulic cylinders robotically and are using the Lincoln Power Wave 450 in conjuction with Fanuc robots. In the last 6 months we are replacing and rebuilding these power supplies at an astonishing rate. This is getting very tiresome and I have begun to shop around for a worth while power supply. I have also had previous experience with the blue machines and have not really had the best of luck with these either. If anyone knows of a good power supply that will be reliable for more than 3 months at a time I would appreciate the input. Thank You.
Parent - - By Marc A Brach (*) Date 12-13-2000 18:07
Josh,
I haven't done a whole lot of research on it yet but we use the Power Wave 455 in conjuction with a fanuc robot as well. To my knowledge we haven't replaced one yet (going on three years). The cell runs two shifts pretty much continously (other than loading) everyday except weekends. Let me check into it more today and I will try to get back with you. What is it exactly that you are rebuilding (parts of the power supply) if you give me a little more info I have a pretty good connection:) I might be able to help.
Happy Trails,
Marc
Parent - - By Josh Clare (*) Date 12-14-2000 19:02
Marc,
We have been replacing just about every part on the machine, first they go out for a bad pc board, then the water cooler pump fails, then we get it back in and another board goes bad. I can't tell you how frustrating this is getting. We go down for about two hours every time we lose a power supply, and everyone is getting very fed up with this. We need to get something done about this, every time I contact Lincoln they say that it our fault that we do not PM the machines correctly. Well there suggestion for PM is to clean and check the power supply every six months, but they only last three months. They have no answer for me as to why this is happening. I have considered other power sources, but haven't been able to find much information on which power sources interface with fanucs controllers directly.

Let it Snow,
Josh
Parent - By Marc A Brach (*) Date 12-14-2000 19:43
I just checked with our head maintenance man he say that the 450 has been a very good machine for us virtually problem free. I Have another person to check with on Monday and I will see what he has to say. It sounds like the 455 isn't an option for you. I apologize for my lack of familiarity with power supplies the way he explained it to me the 450 has a built in interface? If it were me I would put a little more heat on your sales rep's backside or he'll be looking to sell elsewhere I doubt he'd like to lose your business. Well good luck in your search for a powersupply. While you are searching for a powersupply I'll be testing my new studs out so have fun.

It just doesn't stop (snowing) up here!!
Marc
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Power Supply??