Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 UT inspection requirements
- - By mnelson (*) Date 02-23-2006 19:14
Struggling to find an answer on structural NDE. AWS D1.1-2000 paragraph 6.13.1 states welds that are subject to UT in addition to VT shall be acceptable if requirements are met in Table 6.2. Can one summize that statically loaded nontubular connections require VT & UT?
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 02-23-2006 19:21
Per D1.1 all welds shall be visually inspected. D1.1 does not require all welds to be UTed.

I do not UT welds that do not pass VT.
Parent - - By mnelson (*) Date 02-24-2006 15:14
Which welds require UT?
Parent - - By - Date 02-24-2006 15:26
D1.1 does not require that any welds be UT'd. If any welds are to be UT'd, this requirement must be specified by the designer. Look at paragraph 6.1.1 of D1.1.
Mankenberg
Parent - By mnelson (*) Date 02-24-2006 15:52
Thank You!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2006 15:52
I agree with the responses you have thus far, however, I UT every full pen joint before it leaves our shop, regardless of contractural language between the customer and our company, just to cover our behinds. I want to be certain that there will not be any surprises in the field, should the customer decide to UT a few joints in the field. We have a great bunch of welders and I have confidence in their ability, but anyone can have a bad day, so I check them all. Besides couplant is fairly cheap :)
John Wright
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-24-2006 17:07
Mr. Wright
I hope your company appreciates your wisdom
Fran Brieden
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 02-24-2006 17:54
I UT all the full pen welds that go through my shop, too. At times is is a pain when you have 15 welders and only 1 person in the shop qualified to UT welds. One day I will figure out how to make time and then I will have plenty of time to get it all done.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2006 18:54
QC,
I wish I could complain about only having 15 welders:) LOL, I stay busy just scanning baseplates and column flanges for laminations so that I do not hold up the fitters/welders and have them waiting around on me before they can get started milling the plates and columns. Then after they cut the ratholes, I have to MT. After they get through welding them up, I go back and shoot a 45*, 60* and 70* over the welded joints due to the thickness of the materials. And yes, I'm the lonesome UT inspector also. I feel your pain when you say you don't have alot of spare time on your hands. I could come on over in my spare time and give you a hand with inspecting if you get backed up:)
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 UT inspection requirements