Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln AC/DC switch...
- - By KenMt Date 02-24-2006 07:39
I've got an older Lincoln AC/DC 225 amp welder that I need a off/on switch for.There's not a number on the switch anywhere.I tried Lincoln's web site,but couldn't find it in there.I Emailed several welding supply places but received no answer's back.Anyone have any ideas?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-24-2006 08:02
Hello KenMt, have you tried emailing direct to the technical or service department of Lincoln? I believe they have the provision on their website to do so. If you can't get a response that way do you have any electrical distributors in your area? You might consider taking the switch in to one of them and see if they can determine the rating of the swith and a possible replacement for it. In a real bite they should at least come up with a switch of the same rating that you can modify the mount for if necessary and use instead of the direct replacement one. If you aren't electrically inclined I would not recommend this particular route. Yet, if properly installed, a switch of similar rating should pose no safety threat and work just as well as the OEM one. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 02-25-2006 02:29
Hey KenMt,
My friend has a 225AC that had the same problem after years of constant and demanding use. He couldn't find a Lincoln replacement switch quickly, so he installed a 50amp circuit breaker as an emergency fix. That was 11 years ago....it's still in.....Denny
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 02-25-2006 16:01
On an old machine off warranty, I'd say if you can use generic parts absolutely do! Just make sure they meet or exceed original requirements. Some parts you don't have a choice, but when you do the savings is usually huge. I work in printing and press parts are generally about 25% less if purchased from aftermarket sources. If you can by generic parts, not specific for individual machine applications, the cost savings is even greater. And it makes me feel sooooo good when I don't have to pay the high price someone else is demanding!
Parent - By Eddie Date 03-29-2006 21:37
If you still don't have the problem fixed, really all you need is a heavy duty switch, like a breaker switch you can tie into the welder. They don't have to be factory switches. I am 50 yr old and been welding for over 30 yrs and I have seen lots of different things. My dad has a welder that came on the Mayflower and it has a breaker box switch working it and it is the welder I learned to weld on and it is still working fine.. good ole lincon crackerboxes.. lol But do be carefull to make a good tie in so you don't get fried when turning it on.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln AC/DC switch...