Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / MIL-STD-1595 to AWS D17.1
- - By stormee Date 02-24-2006 16:27
I have an issue here that I am trying to straighten out. I know what I think is right but wanted to get some other views also or see if someone knows if I am on the right track.
I have taken a job about 2 months ago at a place that was without a CWI for several years and I am trying to get things back in the right direction. The welders are/were certified under MIL-STD-1595 for years and actually up to 2003 or so. According to MIL-STD-1595A (para. 4.6 Requalification) they need to be requalified every 5 yrs as long as conditions are present which they are. So now I have some that are up for requalification if I go by MIL-STD-1595A. However, AWS D17.1 has superseded 1595A and the Extended Validity (AWS D17.1 para 4.2.3.2) states that it may be extended indefinitely provided an auditable record is maintained......etc. If we do have daily records are the welders now actually already qualified under AWS D17.1 and would be considered "grandfathered" so to say? Or do I need to requal them under AWS D17.1 to make it legit? You can always read things the way you "want" them to read but that doesn't always make it right so just want to cover my bases here. We are facing a NADCAP Audit in the next few weeks and just want to make sure I have things the way they need to be.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Gina
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-25-2006 14:30

I think your interpetation is the right one.

D17.1 was not intended to make each welder to requalify as one specification superceded the other.

The "extended validity" is intended (in my opinion) as a mechinisim to reasonably reduce the huge number of qualification tests for some 1595 certified operators. Think about 6 or 7 material groups and two thickness ranges at least. Thats alot of coupons. When I served in the Navy in the mid 1980s we enlisted aerospace welders had to recertify annually while our civillian counterparts needed the 5 year requal. Sometimes it felt like we spent more time testing than fixing jets.

Again, not speaking for the committee here. Just my personal read.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-25-2006 17:04
You should look at the purchase order issued by you customer to see what requirements are being specified, i.e., MIL-STD-1595A or AWS D17.1.

Your customer's purchase order, standard clauses, etc., may require you comply with MIL-STD-1595A, in which case you have to meet those requirements or get an exception to the contract requirements.

AWS D17.1 becomes a contractural requirement when it is referrenced by the contract documents.

Another area that causes confusion are material specifications. There are a number of military and federal material specifications that have been cancelled. Many have been superceded by ASTM material specifications. However, if your customer lists their material requirments as per the cancelled military and federal material specifications, that what must be met. You can not simply substitute materials meeting the ASTM specifications for those that are specified as meeting the cancelled military and federal material specifications. It can be a challenge to find raw materials meeting the cancelled specifications. You will have to get permission to use the ASTM materials from your customer and justify the request to make the substitution.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By stormee Date 02-27-2006 13:57
Thank you both for your insite. I will look into that information also Al.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / MIL-STD-1595 to AWS D17.1