Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld progression
- - By chrcon Date 02-24-2006 23:52
I have hear that even though a companies WPS is qualified to weld uphill/down hill - if a welders WPQ only state that the progression is uphill he/she can not weld downhill

QW-405.3 was mentioned as the applicable code for this - Is this correct?
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 02-26-2006 07:20
That is correct. You need to be specifically qualified either uphill or downhill during your performance qualification test. To my knowledge there is no provision to obtain both directions in a single test and you would be surprised how many inspectiors have overlooked this.

BamaDave
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 03-03-2006 00:39
AWS D1.1 specifies uphill progression because E 7018 is widely used in the industry. If you weld downhill with low hydrogen electrodes (E-7018),
There’s a good possibility that the slag will not be precipitated from the weld puddle. Uphill weld progression allows the welder to maintain the slag on top of the puddle where it will cool and form the coating which we remove as slag. Otherwise you have to be qualified in the position and also meet the essential variable requirements. One of the essential variables is progression.
Best regards,
VONASH
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-03-2006 14:28
One VERY key point to remember is that a Welder does not qualify TO a WPS. He will qualify to a set of variables listed by the applicable code for welder performance qualification. Those qualification limits may or may not encompass all the ranges for a given WPS.

Just because it on the WPS doesn't mean the welder is qualified.

Have a good day
Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/miscPages.htm

Parent - By vonash (**) Date 03-03-2006 22:20
I agree with Pipewelder_1999.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2006 05:16
I'm confused.

Every welding standard I've worked with requires the welder to follow a welding procedure specification when taking a welder performance test. The WPS may be prequalified as permitted by AWS D1.1, or it may have been qualified by testing for a welding process not prequalified by AWS D1.1 (GMAW short circuiting transfer for instance) or for work performed in accordance with ASME.

I've rejected test coupons when the welder does not weld within the parameters listed on the WPS. If the WPS lists vertical upward progression only, but the welder uses downward vertical progression, the test coupon is not accepted. If the WPS calls for E7018 eclusively, but the welder uses E6010, the coupon is not accepted. If the travel speed and heat input are limited and the welder exceeds the limits, the test coupon is not accepted. If the WPS limits the electrode diameter to 3/32 inch and 85 amps maximum, but the welder uses 110 amps, the test coupon is not accepted.

Every welder performance test report I've used or reviewed has a space for "WPS used". I reject the document if the WPS entry is blank.

I agree that the welder may not be qualified for all the "work" permitted by the WPS. For instance; the WPS may list "all positions", but the welder may be qualified for the flat position only.

I have not personnally seen a national welding standard or code that lists the welding parameters to be used, i.e., voltage, amperage, filler metal, wire feed speed, etc. If you have used a national welding standard published by API, ASME, AWS, etc., that lists that such information and requirements, please provide the name of the organization that publishes it. It would be interesting to read. I'm always interested in the latest requirements that being imposed by code/standard writing bodies.

I'm willing to learn.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-04-2006 10:05
Gerald,
The original post by chrcon quoted QW 403.5 which as you are aware is from ASME IX.
QW 300.2 states "These paragraphs require that each manufacturer or contractor shall be responsible for conducting tests to qualify the performance of welders and welding operators in accordance with qualified Welding Procedure Specifications, which his organization employs in the construction of weldments built in accordance wiyh the code."
As Al has said, if you don't follow the WPS in your weld test you fail.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By Ariel D C (**) Date 03-09-2006 06:19
Hi 803056

Don’t be confused. Just simply remember the essential variables for each welding process and if your are strict…in fairness to the welders / welding operators...brief them on the applicable code / spec / WPS requirements prior to the start of performance test.

If the welder cheat during the test (e.g. rotate the test pipe while doing testing in 6G ) then, its alright to fail him/her on the spot, but if you fail them due those non essential variable you’ve observed, then be prepared…dispute may arise especially if your counterpart is knowledgeable...they may ask for your basis of rejection....shameful if your answers cannot find in the code / and spec that been agreed to use.

Ariel D C
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-04-2006 11:41
I may have been misunderstood. (Not the 1st time).

My point is that a welder does not Qualify TO a WPS . Meaning the WPS is not one of the variables of qualification. A welder DOES Qualify USING a WPS.

If A WPS is written for Uphill or Downhill the welder could only use one progression. He will only be qualified for the progression as GOVERNED by the applicable variables listed for performance qualification. NOT the range of the WPS.

The KEY point is to NOT mix the ranges for performance qualification with the variables for procedure qualification.

Say we have a WPS for CrMo requiring 250 DegF Preheat . All of the variables to be used during production are within the qualification range of the welder. The welder was qualified on Carbon Steel. He didn't use ANY preheat during qualification. He is still qualified. He is qualified to use that WPS.

Another example, a person takes a GTAW test on pipe, Carbon Steel using ER70S-x wire. His WPS is for Carbon Steel ONLY. However he is also qualified to weld SS provided a wps exists for that company however he cannot weld on that material IF a WPS does not exist.

Have a good day. Sorry for causing any confusion
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-04-2006 11:51
I think we all do it Gerald. What we are thinking and what we actually type on the page ( or how it is interpreted) is not exactly the same,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 03-05-2006 02:27
Actually,
What I meant is that if the welder performs the WPS qualification he/she is qualified to weld that position; And the WPS is qualified, and the welder is qualified without retesting for that PQR. All of which should be prequalified per AWS D1.1 'cos that's why the standard was created.
Document, record, document, record.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld progression