Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Repair Specifications
- - By R Viney Date 02-28-2006 17:32
My welders are being certified under D1.1 I have the WPS /PQR 's all covered but now I have been asked to also submit a Weld Repair Specification. I have never heard of this nor seen one can anyone give me some info or a sample?? If it makes a difference the welds and subsequent repairs are to adhere to "Design and Fabrication of Skids for Equipment code:BLF-MUS-MEC-SP-TZZ-000-XXX-00040" We manufacture large U/L 142 and 2085 listed dbl wall fuel tanks. We recently have a chance to contract Equipment Skids (base) and fuel cells for Chevron and the like. I am the Dept. manager and a welder myself. I have also instucted welders for certification but this over worded paper trail has got me a little stumped ...any help would be a god send
R Viney
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-28-2006 19:28
I believe they are looking for a document that provides instruction on how an unacceptable condition is addressed. For example; a weld is rejected due to overlap, what do you do to correct it? You can remove the entire weld, only the segment of weld directly affected, or you can remove the overlap to the point where sound metal can be verified by etching, PT, or MT. Only those portions of weld removed or those portions of weld found to be undersized after correction need to be rewelded using the same WPS as the original weld or an alternate approved by QC. Likewise, how would you repair a cracked weld? The crack and two inches of uncracked weld to either end of the visible crack are excavated and rewelded using the same WPS as the original weld or an alternate WPS approved by QC.

Many of the repairs are contained in AWS D1.1, but you need to prepare a document that tells your customer how you are going to address the problem. Some WPSs include standard repairs along with the visual acceptance criteria. This approach is more common when a fabricator is working to more than one fabrication standard that has different acceptance criteria. It is meant to provide the welders with written instruction on how to address common problems.

Hope this helps.

Al
Parent - By R Viney Date 02-28-2006 19:44
Thanks Al
I believe you are right. I did find the acceptable repair technique section in the D1.1 code book. I will try to word it properly referring to the code section as applicable.
Thanks for your input it helped an old welder into a new realm...
BTW know any welders in So. Wisconsin needing work we are swamped.
Parent - - By - Date 02-28-2006 20:35
Mr. Viney,
This is a fairly common requirement for oil and gas projects. I spent 13 years on Shell projects, and they also require it. In fact, I still have a copy of the Shell specification for structural welding for floating production systems. In that specification, for example, it states "contractor shall submit repair procedures that detail repair and inspection steps to be taken for each type of repair that is likely to be encountered, such as the repair of surface imperfections, weld defects, and excessive root openings". Some of the piping standards that are in use on a platform of that type also require repair procedures.

BTW, we could also use some welders here in Northern Wisconsin. Notwithstanding our involvement with the welding programs at all of the schools with welding programs in our local area, we just cannot get those old-timer welding instructors to teach a curriculum that imparts the skills that a person needs coming out of school. They will literally spend 6 months on SMAW, and a sum total of one week on FCAW/GMAW.
Mankenberg
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-28-2006 21:27
Ron, and Kip

I'm in your neck of the woods (Southern WI) and know of some students who are looking for work. Some are looking for second shift work so they can continue school and others have graduated and are looking for more challenging full time work. Still others will graduate in May.

Like anything else, the best students are already employed, but some may like a move from manufacturing to fabrication. Some are pretty strong entry level welders with good attitudes.

Kip... I'm interested in what you say. In our one year diploma program I have a breakdown close to as follows:

(Semester one)
GMAW Short Circuit & Spray 2/3 semester
FCAW _______ 1/3 semester
At the end of the semester, successful motivated students have completed all the AWS SENSE projects as well as limited thickness guided bends IAW D1.1 in Open root short circuit, and Spray transfer & MCAW with backing. FCAW Unlimited thickness in V-up and overhead with 0.045 E71T1 and V-up with Gasless. (I have recieved a request from industry to train with 3/32 FCAW and am going to next semester)

(Semester two)
SMAW 2/3 semester
GTAW 1/3 semester
At the end, the best will have passed destructive exams on D1.1 limited thickness plate in all positions both open root and with backing. The mid term practical includes an open root with CAC-A backgouge.
GTAW to SENSE requirements with top students performing purged pipe welds or D17 equivelants.

I have not found a way yet to really incorperate more than introductory pipe welding into a 1 year program that demands proficiency in all processes. Usually only a couple of students are ready for this each semester.

Now I gotta say that not all program students can master all of these in just two semesters. (Thats why employers ought to ask for letters of refrence from instructors and must question students graduating with C's) Attitudes that understand excellence are difficult to forge if not already in place when a student enters college.

I also see the SENSE certificate as a good barometer of students. The SENSE requirements in themselves are not all that difficult. But to put them together and view them as systemic I see it representitive of a student/welder who has a good foundation in practice and theory and can be brought quickly up to higher level code standards in a number of processes. Employers who recognize the value of SENSE qualified welders have an advantage when sorting applicants.

I've actually begun attending the AWS section meetings (in Milwaukee) in order to find out more specifically how to target training for those students who are ahead on the curriculem and can branch of into elective exercises.

I would be glad to accept any procedures or employment tests you would like to share and incorperate the joints, positions, processes and specific fillers into our practical learning modules.

You two are the kind of voices I like to hear from.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Repair Specifications