Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 316 clad mild steel vessel
- - By matt uk Date 03-01-2006 18:55
is it possible to weld over a 309L root run with a E71T flux cored mag process
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-02-2006 01:48
Possible, but not advisable. How about more details?
Parent - - By matt uk Date 03-02-2006 16:20
re more details , the vessel has a layer of 309L layer of bead metal then a layer of 316L which is on the internal bore of a 10'' nb pipe the same with the cap end which is the closeing weld , i just want to know if it,s a good mechanical weld or not and will i exspect to see cracks on the x ray reports
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 03-05-2006 00:05
Hi All!

Surely, such a welding operation as this will have a procedure against it?

Regards
Parent - - By matt uk Date 03-08-2006 22:30
well this is useless i needed your help , and no advise thanks a lot
except not advisable . tell me something i didn,t alreay know but thanks anyway
Parent - By - Date 03-08-2006 23:29
Matt,
In your original post you asked if it were "possible" to weld over SS with a CS filler material. That is all you asked. Marty (MBSims) very politely answered your question. It is possible, but not advisable. From reading your post, it appears this vessel was a CS vessel with one layer of 309 (butter pass) and then another layer of 316L. Is that correct? If I may ask, why would you, or anyone for that matter, want to go and weld over the SS with a CS filler? What was the purpose of the SS layers in the first place if you were going to weld CS over them? Then, you asked if this was going to be a sound weld and could you expect to see any cracks after x-ray. You leave out so many details that no one can answer that question. For one thing, you make no mention of a PWHT. Marty and all the rest of us are only able to give opinions or recommendations based upon the details that are given to us. You failed to do that. That is probably why no one has tried to address your concerns. Matt, please don't take this wrong, but your last response sounded to me as rather disrespectful to Marty. I hope I'm wrong. If so, I apologize. As said, we will all try to help anyone if we have all the deails to make an accurate and correct suggestion.

Chuck
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 03-10-2006 19:25
Am I corect that you have a 10" dia. pipe or vessel that is stainless steel clad in the inside. The ID cladding is a layer of 309 covered by a final layer of 316. the balance of the material is carbon steel. You are making a butt weld in this pipe or vessel, with a stainless steel root pass of E309. You then want to weld the balance of the joint with carbon steel...that will require welding the carbon steel on top of the stainless steel 309 root pass using the FCAW process with E71T-1?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 316 clad mild steel vessel