Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weep hole on the dummy support
- - By khodabandeh (**) Date 03-02-2006 13:17
I want to know the reasons of creating weep hole on the piping lines dummy support?
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 03-03-2006 00:59
Do you mean "Dummy support" as opposed to damisupport? Sometimes a stancion is welded to the outside radius of a 90 degree fitting (of a pipe line) where one part of the pipe runs horizontal and the other pipe runs vertical. There would be a plate welded to the stancion with holes bored in it to mount it to the floor. This is used to support the weight of the riser and (IF the code allows it) is the most sensible way to hang the pipe. A weep hole from 1/8" to 1/4" is bored in to the stancion pipe support( usually about 2 or 3 inches from the plate) where one end is welded to the plate and the other end is welded to the 90 degree elbow. Why is there a weep hole? I am not an engineer (just a dumb welder) but I think it is to prevent trapped air from blowing out the welds on the stancion (it has happend to me along time ago). I am not sure, but I think it has something to do with condensation (from the pipe) having someplace to go thru the weep hole but I dunno.
Parent - By khodabandeh (**) Date 03-04-2006 03:58
Thanks about your respond.Also I want to know is that cause to implosion if the weep hole didn,t perform.
Parent - - By kamann Date 03-13-2006 08:17
it is for condensation.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-13-2006 12:43
The weep hole is an indicator of failure behind the dummy leg or dummy leg re-pad. If you start to have a failure you will see the hole "weeping". You can look in API 510 and API 653 and it tells you all about it.

Thanks
Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weep hole on the dummy support