Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filler2
- - By cksonger Date 03-02-2006 14:41
Does anyone have any experience with a filler selection program called Filler2?
Parent - - By M-Squared (**) Date 03-02-2006 16:51
I have used the product in the past and it is a good program. It has an extensive database of material (welding and base material). You select your base material and welding process and it gives you some welding parameters. If you enter some other information it will give you the cost of welding as well.

The draw back for me was the weld parameters. You could change electrode diameter and current but it would not let you change volts, travel speed etc. I am always a little leery of canned welding parameters. However it can give you a good starting point, which is a plus if you are not familiar with welding parameter development. The price is a little on the steep side (at least for me) if you are looking for something to just calculate cost of welding only.

I have a program I wrote in EXCEL 2000 that determines welding cost that you can check out at http://www.mruczekweldingengineering.citymax.com/page/page/2953669.htm
there is a free demo version and a full version.

You can also check out Gerald Austin’s web site at
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/weldassist_version_2.htm he has a small program that works well. In addition he has other software that you may find interesting and helpful.

Mark Mruczek
Mruczek Welding Engineering
Parent - - By cksonger Date 03-02-2006 16:56
What do you think about its suggestion on filler metals?
Parent - By M-Squared (**) Date 03-02-2006 17:35
The filler metal section did an OK job for straightforward applications such as A36 to A36, 4130 to 4130, 316 to 316 etc., and even some dissimilar base metals. There may be times however when you need to look at non-traditional applications such as welding with an undermatching filler metal, or using a 625 electrode to weld 304 to 2/14 Cr alloys. In this situation I feel that the program is lacking and it will not give you any welding information. To me this is a downfall for the price. Please be aware these are just my opinions and the program may work well for you. Unfortunately I don’t think they offer a demo so the only way to know is to fork over the money and hope they will give you a refund if it is not what you want.

Mark Mruczek
Mruczek Welding Engineering
MM@MruczekWeldingEngineering.CityMax.com
Parent - By cksonger Date 03-02-2006 16:57
What do you think about its filler metal suggestions?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Filler2