Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME IX, QW-404
- - By George-kh (**) Date 03-04-2006 15:24
(a) According to ASME IX, QW-404.9: “A change in the indicator for minimum tensile strength” is an essential variable. Is a new PQR required, if a qualified WPS with a F6A2 flux changes to a F7A2 flux (Changing to greater tensile strength)?

(b) In the table of QW-254 Submerged-Arc Welding (SAW) variables, does “flux designation” in QW-404.29, mean flux classification (e.g. F7A2)?

(c) In the table of QW-254 Submerged-Arc Welding (SAW) variables, does “Classification” in QW-404.33, mean electrode classification (e.g. EM12K)?

(d) In the table of QW-254 Submerged-Arc Welding (SAW) variables, does QW-404.35 mean that changing from “F7A2-EM12” to “F7A2-EH14” (Just electrode changing) or changing from “F7A2-EM12” to “F7A4-EM12” (Changing to a better impact test value” require new qualification?

Thanks.
Parent - By George-kh (**) Date 03-09-2006 20:03
it seams not to be an interesting subject but please answer if somebody knows the answer.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-13-2006 14:41
In my opinion:
A) Yes- they give the specific example of (e.g. the 7 in F7A2-EM12K)
B) I do not believe so. If they meant classification, I think they would have stated it that way. This is a non-essential variable, so changing "designation" would not require requalification. I think they are talking about a manufacturers designation.
C) I think they are talking about the whole electrode/flux classification here. Again, it is non-essentail. So for example, changing from F7A2-EM12K to F7A4-EM11K would not require qualification based on this variable.
D) Although changing to a lower temperature classification makes sense to not have to re-qualify, it does not give that exemption, so it looks to me like requalification is required for any change in the AWS class except for hydrogen, when supplemental essential variables apply.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME IX, QW-404