Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repairing cracks on pressure vessel
- - By shaker Date 03-05-2006 23:42
I bought this old IR t30 80 gallon compressor. Its the older slow running model, makes 21 cfm, pd 400 for it. One thing I noticed is that the tank has 2 hairline cracks at the 2 rear feet, probably stress after all the years, its an 1988 model. It runs good and makes good air but leaks down after a day or so, the soapy water test ferreted out the cracks. I am looking for any advice on how best to weld these cracks closed, outside of all the prerequisites like cleaning, grooving, stress releiving etc. I am a ok to good welder (although these cracks are in a challenging location) and have mig, tig and stick available. I can rock the pump over to get at it easilly enough and I cut the top of the foot back for access but its still gonna be tight with any process.What are your suggestions on process, technique and prep for this application? After its done I have to put it in a place that will be a bear to retrieve it from later if it needs more attention and I want to do the best possible job the first time around. The tank is probably 1/8" thick or so.

Thank You,

scott
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-06-2006 02:14
Check the compressor tank for an ASME nameplate. Any repair performed on a stamped vessel must be performed by a shop that has a "R" repair stamp.

If a non-code shop, i.e., you in this case, performs the repair, the vessel is no longer a code vessel. If you are in a state that has adopted ASME Section VIII, you will be in violation of the state law. If an accident happens and the tank goes boom, your insurance carrier may not cover the damage and if someone gets injured or worst, ...........

Buy a new tank, its safer and legal. You'll have piece of mind as well. That tank under pressure is a bomb waiting to go off.

Good luck - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repairing cracks on pressure vessel