Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / starting a boat trailer fab company
- - By lafrancestephen Date 03-06-2006 00:43
I'm a certifed welder and I'm thinking of starting a company that sells boats. my question is what do i have to do in order to design and sell them Legally!

Is there alot of red tape to go through? also I am in canada if that helps!
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 03-06-2006 02:36
Are you going to build boats and trailers or just build the boats? What size of boats or trailers? These will affect the requirements. I would start by talking to a nav. arch. as well as Transport Canada Marine Safety and the Coast Guard if you are going to build boats. If you are just building trailers your provincial Department of Transportation will have all the rules and requirements for trailers.

Regardless of whether you are building boats or trailers you may want to look into CSA W47.1 and W47.2 certification for your company, it will help and may be a requirement. As for red tape it will depend what province you are in and the size of the trailers and boats.

Sean
Parent - - By lafrancestephen Date 03-06-2006 12:00
as for now I was just thinkingof doing boat trailers and utility trailers but i would like to get in to designing boats similar to kemp boats.
thanks for your info!
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 03-06-2006 17:19
our family still has in place much of the manufacturing mechanism for making trailers did everything at time for production of semi-trailers in U.S.A. for alaska gas line but economy flopped 1987 , now i think that with nafta you may be required to do same now might check? had to get world manufactor identifier number from SAE then go thru (nhtsa ?) go thru 17 number vin secquence . set up a qa/qc program . there are many things that come to mind . will dig thru arcives see if there is any thing that might help . you need to do all this correctly to add value to your product . doing the work (welding ) is the fun part . if i find more will post . good luck willie
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / starting a boat trailer fab company