Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / fillet weld
- - By no1welder (*) Date 03-06-2006 05:23
I have a welding symbol that calls for a .125 in. fillet weld and stitch in the tail section. I know that the min. weld length is .750 but I cannot find what the min. or max. spacing is. The material is 12 ga. and 16 ga. mild steel. Could someone help me with some direction as to what it may be. ( what book ) Thanks alot for everyones past help ! Jim B.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-06-2006 13:01
I suppose D1.3 could be used for your application. D1.3:98 (page 9) 2.3.3 Fillet Welds:
2.3.3.1 Minimum Length
Minimum length shall be 3/4".
2.3.3.2 Leg Sizes:
Leg sizes of lap joints shall be equal to the thickness of the thinner sheet steel(see fig 2.7). The leg size of the T-joint fillet welds shall be equal to the thickness of the thinnest sheet steel(see fig 2.8).
In my brief scan of D1.3, I did not see any info concerning the spacing of the stitch welds, but would venture to guess that would be up to the engineer or designer to achieve the desired joint strength for the application.
John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-06-2006 17:24
Generally, missing information means the welder can decide what to put down for welds.
Practically, that's not a good idea. I would get the intent of the welding symbol clarified with the engineer if that is possible. If you have to interpret the intentions, it could come back to bite you.

Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / fillet weld