Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Capabilities of Lincoln SA-200 Welder
- - By peter.paras (*) Date 03-10-2006 19:18
Help! I was told the Lincoln SA-200 welder could only weld pipe. I have bought one trying to start a small part time welding business thinking you could use of for general welding on steal.

Welding store guy says it has no other capabilities other than pipe.

Any experience with this welder on other than pipe?

Thanks
Rookie Welder
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-10-2006 20:15
Lotsa and lotsa structural iron, and repair welds have been made with this generator type, be it GE, Westinghouse or Hobart. This particular generator machine is a constant current weld output with a variable voltage control. Get in touch with Lincoln for an owner's manual and tech paper on setting this machine for 7018 and 6010. Two entirely different settings for a cellulose 6010 digging arc and a soft, easy flowing arc for 7018.
Parent - By peter.paras (*) Date 03-10-2006 20:18
Thanks for the reply.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 03-10-2006 20:16
pete , it will work . what part of the world are you in ? sa 200 has been around a lot longer than the people who are telling you that . if you need more info. should move this to shop talk . willie
Parent - By peter.paras (*) Date 03-10-2006 20:18
OK, thanks.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-10-2006 23:34
Hello Peter, without going into a massive amount of detail the Lincoln SA200 machine that you have can be used to run any SMAW stick rod that is manufactured. Stick rods usually run on either AC or DC current, the AC rods can be run on a DC machine using either straight polarity or reverse polarity, they will generally run best on reverse polarity but not always. DC rods do not generally run well if at all on AC machines, an example of this would be trying to run E6010 rod on an AC machine, it will extinguish it's arc when the current switches polarity between cycles. The machine you have will also run a large selection of wires if you use a voltage sensing feeder such as the LN25 that Lincoln makes or the suitcase type welders that Miller and Hobart manufacture. As was pointed out to me the other day here on the forum some of the SA200's also had kits installed on them so that they were capable of CV output, which allows them to run even more choices of wire feeders. You have purchased a very versatile piece of welding equipment capable of many different applications and uses, you have done well. A couple of other things I forgot to mention, you can operate a Carbon Arc torch off of this machine very readily, you can also set-up and operate a scratch start type GTAW torch off of this machine providing you aren't trying to use a variable amperage type of control while you are welding. For specific polarity requirements of welding rods refer to the rod manufactures specification sheet. Best of luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By peter.paras (*) Date 03-13-2006 17:14
Thanks, I feel better knowing that. Had to drive from KS to michigan to pick it up over the weekend. What a drive. It came without leads. What kind of cable does it take? What gauge for a run of 50 ft.

thanks again.
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 03-14-2006 17:32
pete. the welding leads that you get depends on what you need , some are better than others ( more flexable etc. ) looking at my chart (Old lincoln chart) machine size 200a @60% duty cycle up to 50 feet is #2 it actually goes up to 150 feet then changes to #1 . you will probably want to get a short whip 10 to 12 feet to make it eazy to weld with . move up to shop talk and let us know how you are doing . good luck . willie
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-27-2006 00:47
to make a long story short if it's made of metal be it stainless aluminum the sa 200 can burn the take it takes to put it together i have 4 of these rigs and noone could convince me theres a better machine on the market grant it the older machines are the ones to have and thats what i have a 1954 short hood a 1953 short hood and a 1968 long hood as well as a 1979 long hoodi had built to the 1968 sepecs all of my machines are soild copper wound nothing else will do
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Capabilities of Lincoln SA-200 Welder