Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6010 electrodes
- - By boring (*) Date 03-14-2006 03:40
A guy at work gave me about 30# of fairly new 1/8 dia. 6010 electrodes. I have never used them before, and only have experience with 6013, and 7018, 7024, and limited 11018 experience. I've been told they are difficult to work with, but I recently started fabricating some equipment to use in strongman competitions like you may have seen on ESPN. I use a lot of sch. 80 pipe, and 1/4" wall tubing, and the 6013s have alwys been sufficient. However, I buy them in the small cans from Home Depot so they aren't wet, and my understanding is that the 6010s can live in my shed in a storage tube, and I don't have to worry about moisture content in the coating. Sorry for the long post, but I can't look this gift horse in the mouth.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-14-2006 06:44
Hi Boring!

If I were you I would find out what type, grade of metal pipe & tubing you are using first, then match with the appropriate welding filler electrode... you can go to your local welding distributor once you find out what grade of steel you're working with and they should be able to help you out most likely better than "Home Depot"...

This way, you not only cover you Buttocks (CYA)... You also will cover your toes, your floor, well - you get the picture!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 03-15-2006 08:00
E-6010 electrodes are the rods that have been used on root passes on pipe for many years. Its also been used all out on the pipe line. I dont know exactly what they are using right now. Maybe still using 6010 on the root? Calling on JTMcC here for a for sure answer. Anyway, there a deep penetrating rod. DC only. Like a 6011 but not quite as forgiving. Course you dont seem to claim to have done much of them either. They produce a real snappy kinda arc. Not a smooth one like the 7018 or the 6010. These rods will stick on ya. I personally use a stepping type of weave or movement if you were. Light slag, but its kinda tougher to get off. 6011 is real common out on the farm for the thicker stuff. The 6011 is though capable of AC which the 10 isnt.
Try some test samples to find out whether you like it. Not as ductile as the 7018, and not as much tensile...60,000 psi tensile vs 70,000 psi. Hmm I dont know...but they are a good rod IMO. Differnt then 6013 and 7018 though. Just my two Cents
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-15-2006 13:23
Here is a very short video of 6010 with and without the whipping techique mentioned above. http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/SMAWVideo.htm
Parent - - By boring (*) Date 03-16-2006 03:31
Thanks for the info. guys. As far as grade, It's just black iron pipe, and mild steel tubing, although I haven't asked exactly what it is, I will. Also, that video was very helpful. Looks like you have to maintain a very short arc, and whip the whipping could help prevent burn through. Am I on the right page as far as not needing to store these as carefully though?

Thanks Again, Mike
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-16-2006 04:40
The machine I was using was unstable when the arc was lengthened so I kept it pretty short. In some situations with a different power source, I would lengthen it a little when whipping.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-16-2006 19:35
Mike,

Re: Am I on the right page as far as not needing to store these as carefully though?:

Not all coated electrodes are treated the same. For example, cellulosic coverings for E6010 and E6011 electrodes need moisture levels of 3% to 7% for proper operation. Therefore, storage and conditioning above ambient temperature may dry them too much and adversely affect their operation.

Electrodes in the EXX10 classification should be kept dry at a temperature range between 40 and 120 degrees F and at 60% relative humidity (+/-10%) before opening. After opening, the holding temperature should be at 100 degrees F (+/- 25 degrees). These electrodes should never be stored at temperatures above 130 degrees F, or stored below 50% relative humidity.
Parent - By boring (*) Date 03-17-2006 00:40
Thanks again guys! Now it's a matter of practice!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6010 electrodes