Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 206.0 T6 to Wrought alloy - Weldable?
- - By MattR Date 03-16-2006 22:13
I have a potential project that would require welding a wrought alloy (6061 probably) to 206.0. It is a rear end for a 240mph road race car, and the weldment would function as one-of-three suspension links mounts. It won't get too hot in service (200ยบ or less), but will be subjected to severe vibration, and shock loads in the area of 3,500psi. The weldment would be inspected before every race, and the customer knows that this is probably going to be a consumable part.

The cast alloy is set in stone. Is it weldable? If so, what wrought alloy and filler alloy would you recommend? Interpass temps? (I'm planning on 3-passing the entire weldment, with one pass on opposing sides)

Thanks guys.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-17-2006 01:47
I looked through my Kaiser book for some recommendations, that alloy wasn't listed. Maybe there is a reason for not including it in the listing of mechanical properties with filler metal recommendations.

I also looked in AWS D1.2, nothing there on that alloy either.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By MattR Date 03-17-2006 02:42
Thanks Al. AlcoTec's filler chart doesn't list that alloy either. And seeing as how the main alloying element is copper, just like the 2xxx series wrought alloys, it's probably not recommended.

However, I forgot to mention in my first post that I wonder if I would get enough dilution with the 6061 (or whatever is best) that hot cracking and stress corosion cracking associated with the 2xxx and 7xxx wrought alloys would go away.

Any comments on that?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-17-2006 03:18
Hello MattR, you will probably find that even if the dilution theory would deal with the hot-cracking associated with the weld pool, it probably wouldn't deal with the transition zone between the weld pool and the parent metal, you would likely still end up in trouble in this area. Your original post talked about the application of this weldment as being associated with racecar parts used at very high speeds and various vibration and shock type loads. Personally I would seek some help that could put a stamp of approval on your fabrication and welding methods to ensure the safety of the end user of this and also deal with liability issues and your responsibilities. My $.02. Best of luck and Regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 206.0 T6 to Wrought alloy - Weldable?