Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AwsD1.1 or Asme sect IX
- - By mjf (*) Date 03-17-2006 14:05
can somebody tell me the appropriated code for shipbuilding and repair between AwsD1.1 or Asme sect IX?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-17-2006 15:18
there is an ABS (american bureau of shipping) code that may apply
Parent - - By tito (**) Date 03-17-2006 15:20
AWS D1.1 is a code or standard that governs/regulates welding regarding structural steel and includes provisions for welding qualifications.

ASME sec IX is a code solely regarding welding procedure specification, performance qualification records, and welder/welding operator qualifications.

It seems you have a contract or p.o. that might say "welding to be conducted and inspected in accordance with AWS D1.1" and "all welder and welding operators shall be qualified in accordance with ASME sec. IX". If this is correct, you actualy follow AWS D1.1 to build and repair the ship, only with WPS, PQR's and welders qualified to ASME sec IX.

As for what actual code should be used for ship building/repair I'm not sure, but I think the ABS (if your in America) stricly regulates these activities.

edit: hogan beat me to the ABS reference. must have typed and posted while I was chicken pecking on my keyboard.
Parent - By Sean (**) Date 03-17-2006 16:42
I would concur with Tito and Hogan... except I would add a couple of things. The classification society (i.e. who the vessel is insured with) typically specifies the code/standard for the workmanship.

Outside of the US, Det Norske Veritas and Lloyd's Registry are the typical classification societies. The Vessel's owner will know which one to use. For new construction I would recommend talking to one with the closest local office. Each of the "Classes" have their own rules regarding shipbuilding and repair. Typically, the shipbuilding and repair rules will allow the surveyor to accept work done to other recognized standards at the discretion of the surveyor... That is to say the local surveyor may accept AWS D1.1 or ASME; however, its up to their discretion and typically depends on the vessel and the application of the repair. I would recomend that you talk to the local surveyor before starting any work.

Also FYI for steel hull welding AWS has D3.5 (Steel) D3.7 (Aluminum)which are both very useful standards.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-17-2006 17:44
I would add the following comment to Tito's statement about ASME IX.
ASME IX applies to welding of boilers, unfired pressure vessels, storage tanks and pressure piping (except oil and gas pipelines, in which case API 1104 applies).
Of course, this doesn't preclude ASME IX to be used for shipbuilding, if required by the client.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AwsD1.1 or Asme sect IX