Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / oxy/acet welder
- - By apachehusky Date 03-19-2006 17:03
I'm buying a Victor Super Range outfit w/ 4+ft tanks and the MECO torch. I'm going to use this to weld gussets and modify MX off-road motorcycles and bikes as a hobby. Frames are chrome-moly and gussets mild steel or chrome moly. As is hard to match the c/m of the frame I may use mild steel for the repairs. I now TIG is the way, but $$ for a good tig outfit as a "hobby-only" does not justify the expense. Is this O/A set-up OK? Please give some advice. I have a little arc welder and a 85 amps Campbell/Haus MIG welder(not enough for the job), at least I've been told about welding c/m with arc and mig.
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 03-20-2006 11:55
I am not aware of any Oxy-Fuel welding rods that have chrome or moly in them. Anyone else??

Mike
Parent - - By apachehusky Date 03-21-2006 01:05
Tin Man Company have a 4130 welding rod especially for chrome/moly. Anybody to share experience with Oxy/Acet welding?
Parent - - By dffay (*) Date 03-21-2006 15:27
Richard Finch, in his welding books, recommends using BARE rod to O/A weld chrome/moly. The copper coating is not very agreeable to the steel structure and the weld itself.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 03-22-2006 13:37
The rod that is recommended for 4130 gas welding is RG-60. (Esab makes a good product for this.)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-21-2006 15:44
I'd like to hear about the heat control with the O/A welding, I thought you needed to keep the HAZ as narrow as possible when working with 4130 and GTAW was best for that. Any Comments?
John Wright
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-21-2006 16:54
Hello All, I seem to remember that many airframes are constructed of chromemoly and are gas welded. Anybody with an affiliation with EAA that might be able to shed some light on this? I would be interested to hear how this comes out. Regards, aevald
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-22-2006 14:08
What we have here is a failure to communicate :)

In some past thread our friend Chuck M. educated me to the fact that we are in error when we try to make 4130 and chrome-moly synonamous. They aren't.

Now to some of the points of the thread. Every FAA certified AMT (formerly A&P Mechanic) gets some good old oxy-fuel welding training on 4130 usually on plate and the students that excell get to weld some tube, most of this training is going to be less than 40 hours, I still don't know of an A&P training program that has worked GTAW into its regular curriculum. Believe it or not, this brief introduction to welding gives an AMT mechanic authority to sign off on welded repairs whether they did them or they are signing for somebody else who did. I bet you wish you haddn't asked now eh? If anybody does know of an A&P program that does include GTAW please let me know as I could use them as an example to help persuade several programs I would like to influence on this matter.

Having said that, lots of folks, especially in the experimental classes use oxy-fuel and 4130. There are any number of websites devoted to just this subject. I know many old timers who can make gas welded cluster joints that are just as pretty as any Tig welder can produce. The big debate in this area will always be about post weld stress relief. Some do and some don't. This argument extends from grandpaw down at the local hanger to the major airlines. Some feel that they have enough experience to ignore the ASM metals handbook and the various producers of components and just don't stress relieve material under 0.090 or so. An engineer may of course take that responsibility upon himself, but I will never give such a recomendation, even if the procedure has stood the test of time. Structural hardware, be it a bike frame or an FA/18 is too critical to jettison the council of the folks who originally made the part.

That was the long story. The short story is this; Use fillers recommended by the manufacture of the product when available. When research won't give you the manufacturers recommendations than look to respected sourses such as ASM Materials Handbook Vol 6, which can be found in many libraries and technical colleges. Find a reliable source and find it in annotated (cited) text. No word of mouth.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / oxy/acet welder