Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Projection Welding High Strength Steel
- - By BPlew Date 03-20-2006 13:42
I currently projection weld on to several types of high strength steel, but I am having problems with one specific application. I am projection welding a 7/16 nut and an 8mm nut on to a bracket made out of SPFH 590 material. The 8mm nut has broken or fallen off on several occassions, but the 7/16 nut has never broken or fallen off. They are welded on the same welder, but with different transformers that cascade when fired. They are both under Ohma cylinders and have separate settings in the panel. I did a weld lobe type model to come up with the current settings with the outcome being based on rotational torque versus expulsion. I am fairly confident that the weld parameters are within an acceptable range. I am using a Centerline tip unit on the bottom and top. The grounding is the same and I have monitored the secondary current flow through both tips and it is very consistent. The only difference I see is in the size and shape of the weld projection. The 7/16 nut has a .8mm to 1.0mm and the 8mm has a .6mm to .8mm projecton. I tried a different 8mm nut with a .8mm to 1.0mm projection and it increased the point of breakage in the rotational torque by over 40 ft/lbs. This was welded at the exact same parameters! Should the weld projection size be larger for high strength steels or is there something I am missing?
Parent - - By robo90124 Date 05-01-2006 01:36
If you can supply me with more information I might be able to help.
How many projections per nut? What is the shape of the projections? Are two transformers connected to one SCR or do you have multiple SCR's? What is your weld force? What is your plate thickness? What are your current settings?
Parent - By BPlew Date 06-19-2006 15:00
This is a three projection nut, triangular shaped projection .8mm tall.
There are two transformers (90 KVA on tap# 1) and two SCR's (1200 amp).
Weld Force - 1000 psi
Weld Heat - 06
Percent Current - 75%
Plate Thickness - .065" - .076"
Material - SPFH 590

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Projection Welding High Strength Steel