Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dissolving copper coating
- - By dffay (*) Date 03-20-2006 17:06
I have a ton of Oxweld No.7 rod (mostly 1/8") and its fine for O/A. But I'd like to use it for TIG if I can but not contaminate the weld with the copper. How can I dissolve the copper coating a few sticks at a time?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-20-2006 18:00
Hello dffay, If this particular rod was designed to be run as an oxy-fuel welding rod the copper coating will likely not be the problem with trying to use it for GTAW purposes. There are other additives present that are used to promote cleaning and de-oxidizing in the weld pool when an OAW welding rod is being used. The GTAW rod has a different make-up to it allowing it to be suitable for that particular process. The variable I could see here would be the application of the welds, are these practice welds being made strictly to improve technique or are you thinking of using this rod to make welds on items that will actually be used for something? I imagine you have heard the statement regarding matching filler material to base material, this is a case where the gas welding rod doesn't match when being used with the GTAW process. To add to your original question, don't bother trying to take the copper coating off of the surface of the rod. Finally, even if the weld came out without porosity showing up in it there is an issue with the tensile strength of the weld, the Oxweld 7 only has a 45,000 tensile, the appropriate rod will have a 70,000 tensile. Hope this helps, aevald
Parent - - By dffay (*) Date 03-20-2006 20:15
aevald-Thanks for the reply-good information. Mostly, the rod will be used for TIGing sheet metal panels (18-20 gauge-mild steel or aluminum-killed steel) in auto restoration application. The 45K tensile strength I was thinking might be better for the metals workability in shaping, forming and hammer/dolly work.

Just a hunch anyway and thats why I was thinking of using the Oxweld in the first place. I don't really want the flash problem copper might bring or the tiny holes it might present. Whatcha think?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-20-2006 22:18
Hello again dffay, considering the application that you are going to be using this for it might work just fine and your thoughts concerning the workability of the metal without cracking is a reasonable expectation. If you want to know a simple way to remove the outer coating on the rod use a piece of scotch brite pad and run the rod in between the pad (the red scotch brite pad is the one generally used). Try cleaning the rod off and make some sample welds on some scrap material and see if you end up with porosity or not, if you don't you will probably be fine to use it. But don't use it on any structural parts of the vehicle or if it is for repair or modification of a unibody constructed car. Best of luck. Regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dissolving copper coating