Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Liquid phase CO2 in C-25?
- - By hankj (*) Date 03-22-2006 18:26
On one of the message boards I frequent, we are having a huge discussion on wether or not CO² can exist in it's liquid phase in a cylinder of 75% Ar / 25% CO². All of us would-be chemical engineers have exhausted our various interpretations of Dalton's laws, and the camp is still divided! I'm looking for a definitive answer from a professional with supporting theroy! Am I in the right store?

Thanks,

Hank
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-22-2006 18:59
Hello Hank, I believe you're in the right store so to speak, although I'm not the one to answer your question. I do have one of my own though, why exactly is this of such great importance to you or your colleagues? Are you having quality control issues regarding a particular welding scenario or is there something else going on? There must be a bit more to this story than just whether 25% CO2 can exist in it's liquid form while in the presence of 75% Argon in the cylinder. Are you experiencing a freeze-up problem of the delivery of the shielding gas due to excessive draw-off rates or high-humidity in the air in the proximity of the welding being done? Is this possibly relevant to a refridgerant type system whereby a liquid changing to it's gaseous form is causing a drop in temperature and causing freezing of the regulator and thus cutting off the shielding medium? You've sparked my curiousity, more information, Please. Regards, aevald
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-23-2006 09:13
There was a similar discussion here some time ago. It seems to have gone beyond the 999 day barrier. Someone who apparently worked in the gas supply business stated that the cylinders have a sort of atomizer that reaches down to the bottom so that if any liquid is present it will be drawn up and sprayed into the gas as it leaves the cylinder. I know this only from that post so if this is important you need a better source.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Liquid phase CO2 in C-25?