Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / OXY-ACETYLENE TORCH
- - By Cks Date 03-23-2006 19:59
I just changed torches so i can cut steel but i need to know the pressures for the gases.
Parent - - By Plasma56 (**) Date 03-23-2006 20:54
I might suggust following the manufactures settings be a starting point, but usually 3 to 5 psi Acetylene, 25 to 30 psi oxygen.If you require further more detailed information on set up,let me know.One thing to remember,the quality of the cut and slag removal is dependant on the length of cutting stream.
Regards,
Noel
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 04-27-2006 03:59
I was scrolling down and saw your reply and hoped you could help me out with the torch. Can you tell me how much too open the oxygen valve but not for the lever, the valve next to the acetylene. And does the oxy have to be on also when lighting the torch?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-27-2006 06:00
Hello humblewelder, the oxygen valve that is next to the acetylene valve on the main torch barrel should be opened up all the way when you have the cutting attachment installed on the torch, this is the supply for the cutting lever valve and the mixture valve. To answer your other question, some folks like to open the oxygen valve slightly when lighting the torch to avoid the black soot that comes from only burning acetylene, that choice is up to you, the only downside to opening up some oxygen upon lighting the torch is the loud bang that will sometimes occur upon lighting up. As Plasma56 stated in his post, besides looking to the manufacturers pressure recommendations for setting the regulators, a long oxygen stream that is present when the cutting lever is depressed and possibly a crackling sort of sound will be a good indicator of having a clean and properly set torch. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-27-2006 13:28
I set my gages after I light the torch while pressing the cutting lever. Pressing the cutting lever causes the gage needles to move up and down. You start your cut by pressing the cutting lever, so I think it's a good idea to set the gages while the lever is pressed. After all, that is your cutting pressure. If not, you get a different reading. It may not be enough to matter, but that's just how I do it. I like to see about a foot long stream of heat/oxygen coming out of the tip, and when I press the cutting lever, the oxygen stream is long and sharp. If it isn't, you need to clean the center hole in the tip. The smaller flames coming from the cutting gas holes in the tip should not be long, but they should be sharp and clear. Also, when you press the cutting lever, the smaller flames coming from the cutting gas holes in the tip should not get longer. Cutting is really an art. To make a good clean cut, you have to get your heat and oxygen set properly, according to the thickness of the material, and you need a steady hand. Your torch shouldn't sound like a Boeing 747. If you have it set correctly, the flame will be long, and the oxygen will be fairly quiet, especially on thinner materials.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-27-2006 14:57
Hello Scott, you've got some good points to add in your post, setting the pressure with the cutting lever depressed or the acetylene valve opened refers to working pressures, setting the pressures with the valves closed and no gas flow refers to static pressure settings, as you stated they are different. Nice description. Have a great day, Regards, aevald
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 04-27-2006 16:11
Thanks you guys, you made it very clear on what to do. A lot of books and sometimes when people show me they dont make it clear, I guess because its natural to them now and they forget the tiny steps they do subconsciously. I'm bummed that I have to go on a trip righjt now because I just want to go try what you all have helped me with. Thanks everyone, GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / OXY-ACETYLENE TORCH