Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Old plastic covering stainless sheet
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-24-2006 18:33

I have some donated stainless sheet that has the plastic covering on the back side. The problem is that the plastic over time has degraded to the point where it has alot of cracks and blisters or is just beginning to peel of in little sections on its own.

So to remove the stuff I am picking it off with my fingernails, scraping it off with a spatula (making toolmarks) and generally putting way more time into this than I want. Sanders and scotchbrite just smear the stuff.

Any tricks of the trade to offer?

Many thanks

Lar
Parent - - By - Date 03-24-2006 20:45
Hello My Friend,
Have you thought about using a rosebud and removing it by heat? The heat from the rosebud should not be sufficient enough to cause any detrimental phases that would be harmful to the SS sheet. Maybe this is something you might want to consider. A spatula would probably cause more harm than heat from the torch (rosebud). Done carefully, you can probably remove the plastic without damaging the chromium oxide on the surface. If, by some chance you cause any discoloration to the surface, simply lightly wire wheel (stainless if you have it) buff off the discolored areas and the oxidation in the air should restore the chromium layer to the surface. Just a thought...

Chuck
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-24-2006 21:12
Hello Lawrence, Just to piggyback on Chuck's suggestion a bit, you might also consider using an industrial heat gun as it may be easier to control amount of heat you're applying. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-24-2006 21:33
Thanks Chuck and Alan

Chuck
PS:
About that advice you gave me on the FCAW VS. GMAW-P; You were right about the GMAW-P being superior. I moved from 0.035 to 0.045 solid wire and performance improved dramatically with both my Lincoln Powerwave and The Miller Axcess. Both power supplies responded to the larger wire by being able to do much better thin/thick fillets on gauge stuff. The 0.035 Stainless solid wire just does not like to pulse spray on thin sections.

In less time than it took me to prep the metal I was consistantly producing fillets on 12 Ga. to 1/4 inch plate, Pulsed spray transfer in the *overhead position* with about a 3/16 inch fillet size and no burn thru. It did thin to thin just as well.

The stuff runs so good it's scary. I have struggled with GMAW-P with Maxtron, Arc-Pak, Pheonix and XMT. <---Throw em all away and get Axcess or Powerwave if you need GMAW-P. (or OTC if you have a bucket of money :)
Parent - By - Date 03-24-2006 21:51
Lar,
Glad to help. I'm glad things worked well for you. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Chuck
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-25-2006 03:14
Hi Larry!
I ran into the same situation some time ago...
I used some acetone with a rag, starting at the area where there was plastic already peeling off the SS... Man - did that plastic come off with ease!!! Just be careful not to breathe too much of the acetone as you probably already know!!! In other words, I suggest adequate ventilation!!! Still, It's gotta be better than burning the layer off!!!
Ya gotta love that SS GMAW-P when it's set just right!!!

Anywho, I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-25-2006 05:07

SSBN

Why diddn't I think of solvent....... sheesh.

First solvent, than if it doesn't work the heat.

The nice thing about the newest generation of GMAW-P is the simplicity of the synergic concept. The Lincoln has two knobs and two switches and the Miller has two switches and two touchpads. Both so much easier than the previous unwieldy stuff. E-Gads, I have a couple of older Miller pulse pendants that are in reality just a box of freakin knobs and the pulse never worked as advertised.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-26-2006 04:30
Hey Larry!

Amen to that Brother!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Old plastic covering stainless sheet