Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / SA-333 Gr.6 Material Failure Update
- - By welderette (**) Date 03-25-2006 23:17
In response to those individuals who wanted to know what has happened, I can report the following. We ended up with 2 manufacturer's whose pipe was rejected. One manufacturer is in the US and immediately sent out a representative, who took responsibility. We cut sample coupons to send to thier foundry. The other manufacturer is abroad, and of the 3 heats involving them, we are dealing with 3 different foundries. They are in denial. We have also cut and sent coupons to them for analysis. The Client has contracted a metalurgist to evaluate samples from all heats. We have UT inspected the HAZ of all welds made on this material and from that identified the problem players. A cross reference of welds that have been RT'd and passed;and UT'd and passed indicates that RT does identify problems with the material, but assigns the problem to the weld. All welds that passed RT also passed UT.
THE PLAN:
All material is being re-ordered to come to us whole body UT'd. The piping supplier is taking back material which has not been UT'd. Welds that have not been RT'd but passed UT in the HAZ will be RT'd. The US manufacturer is taking $$$ responsibility for the welds, testing, fittings, and manhours associated with the failure of thier pipe. (Yay USA) As to the other manufacturer it is too soon to say.
Concerns:
I realize how close we came to not identifying this problem. Of the 9 original rejected welds, 6 passed RT the second time, the laminations still being there. This could have lead to catastrophic failure of a deadly nature. What I take away from this experience is this; "if it does not look right, does not act right, then it is probably NOT Right, so keep digging for the reasons. Thanks to all who responded with help and advise. Deb
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-26-2006 09:29
Wow, absolutely GREAT job, Deb!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-27-2006 12:19
Thanks for the update! I like to see where and how problems have been solved.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / SA-333 Gr.6 Material Failure Update