Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What rosebud and / or tanks to use
- - By gsrokmix Date 03-26-2006 15:12
Hi guys,

The radiator support frame mount on my '96 K1500 was bent back about 3/4 of an inch in an accident. I was thinking I could heat up the area where it bent back with a rosebud and pull the mount back into alignment with a 1 ton "come along".

Does anyone know what is the minimum size rosebud I can use to heat a 4" tall x 2" wide x 1/8" thick part of the frame enough to bend it? I have been looking at buying or leasing oxy & acetylene tanks and I understand there is a "1/7 rule" concerning the draw rate out of the acetylene tank. That would mean that the #6 rosebud that I have (which draws a max of 40SCFH) would require a 280CF tank to be safe. I was hoping to have nothing bigger than 130CF tanks or so. This is being used in a home shop and I won't be using the torch that much.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to do.

Thanks very much!

George
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-26-2006 18:59
If you don't want to use large capacity acetylene tanks with the rosebud, consider using an alternate fuel gas such as propane. You will have to buy a rosebud made for the gas you elect to use.

Al
Parent - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 03-27-2006 02:29
Hi George
Honestly your plan sounds like overkill for all that you have to accomplish.

The support was cold when it was bent right? You might be surprised at what an oak tree with a chain around it can do. I can't stand the smell of burning paint!!!!!!!

It may take some care not to damage your connection point/points. Nylon strap? I have a lifting type C clamp with a clevis that I can move around as needed. It is good to have a helper drive while you watch your reference and connection points. Test by easing on the gas and increasing tension.

When I have something really difficult I'll end up jerking it but only after I've been gentle.
I'm assuming the truck is running since the support only moved 3/4".
And of course be safe?
Good luck
Randy
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What rosebud and / or tanks to use