Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 UT Testing
- - By gkcwi (**) Date 03-28-2006 16:28
Would like to hear your thoughts on UT on 1 material thickness being 3/8", the other material thickness being 1/4". My question is are both materials scranned per section 6.20.1 or should the thinner material be treated as a section 6.20.2 Variations because it is under the 5/16" requirement? This is a CJP plate welded to a beam flange, A36 plate and A992 beam section.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-28-2006 16:42
i would say that based on geometrie, and thickness that an alternative technique would be needed.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-03-2006 16:37
A lot depends on your joint geometry without having actually seen the item in question id offer the following.

Assuming this is a TKY and from your description thats what I see.

I would go with Annex K if your required D1.1 04. using a 1/4" 2.5 mhz ducer from all specified faces
( all assuming planar defects being critical see K10.1 and 10.2)
You'll probably need to set a dac curve on this as well and set the screen range low due to the thinner member. Refer to ASME code or annex K for this. Utilize scan surfaces from figure K-8 in the same annex.
( once again, your engineer needs to determine which flaw types are more critical and what size is acceptable if it's a none standard piece. )

I suggest also the fabrication of a cal standard reflective of the work at hand to accompany standard distance, sensitivity, etc blocks. ( transfer correction should be utilized in your application in my opinion )

The congnizant engineer needs to be in your hip pocket on that as well.

All of this needs to be approved by a level III UT that has experience in TKY connections as they present unique challenges. I've done a myriad of them and they can bite a good tech in the A** if your not paying attention.

Treat your sound like your children, know where it is at all times.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-03-2006 18:06
is this a 1/4" plate welded to the side of a 3/8" flange? i don't see where the tyk came from?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-03-2006 18:15
hogan,
That's the way I read it too. I think he just needs to set up for 1/4" material using the alternate procedures due to the material thickness is less than the Table 6.2 scope of 5/16" min. Less than 5/16" thick you don't have an acceptance criteria to accept or reject by.

Why not scan it and see if you find anything? Be careful because you'll have to creep right up close to the joint and if you get a reflection the signal will likely be very close to your initial signal(main bang) and might be hard to distinguish.
John Wright
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-03-2006 18:28
grinding flush might help also
Parent - By gkcwi (**) Date 04-03-2006 18:42
Thanks for the input. There's still question of which section of code applies? Use alternate for the whole joint, the EIC doesn't know or for that mattter,care. "Just make sure it's up to code and send me a report"
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-03-2006 18:55
Don't forget the weld should be tapered 2.5:1 [See Fig 2.2(A)].
John Wright
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-03-2006 19:20
annex k
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-04-2006 17:36
Assumed worse case, it may be that it's a much simpler form. I didn't read enough clarity in the initial statement to say for sure which is why the preface " Assuming a TKY ".

Without being there in person, or having seen design drawings or any other sort of input other than is found here, I assumed a tky. It may be that it's very simple design no tky to it. However even with that, there is the minimal thickness requirement. That much was stated clearly, so either way, it should revert to annex k by my interpretation.
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 04-16-2006 05:52
What are you looking for?

If you do angle beam inspection over these materials you need to make sure that they do not have any laminations. Make sure you do a lamination scan far enough back to cover whatever your angle beam transducer goes over as well.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 UT Testing