Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Esab Heliarc Tig welding
- - By - Date 12-24-2000 23:01
I have the Heliarc and when welding stainless I don't get the nice smooth arc all the time. I keep a good point on the tungsen, when I am just puddling the stainless I don't have much of a problem but when I try and add to a hole I can't get it too take. I am welding 5/16 round stainless and think there has to be some impurities in it. Sometimes I get a nice small arc going and everything is fine and at other times I get to where everything wants to stick to the tungsen. I don't know the name of it but I am using a stainless filler and really don't know the prep needed. Is there a book out somewhere that supplies the correct adjustments for different thicknesses of stainless and aluminum. I have an Esab Migmaster as well and am thinking of just getting a spool gun to go with it so I could avoid most of these problems. The only reason I purchased the Tig was that I heard they did a better job on aluminum and stainless. Do you think I have a problem with the Tig or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. I know I am asking too many questions at one time but I enjoy Mig welding and would like to get good with a Tig as well.
Thanks in advance!
Drill
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-28-2000 20:38
Sounds like the amperage may be to low if the filler wire will not melt to the base metal, or your arc length may be too long. Try setting the amperage to about 80 amps and keep your distance between the tip of the tungsten and the base metal to around 1/8" to 1/4" and see if that helps.

It is kinda hard to troubleshoot welder technique problems via the internet. It's hard enough when you're standing right next to someone to help them understand what they need to correct. Hopefully there is a trade school near you where you can take a class in GTAW to get you started good.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Esab Heliarc Tig welding